- On 6th August 2015, The African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) pledged full support to Somalia Police Force (SFP).
- The Somalia Forces is expected to begin rigorous training of officers to be deployed in the newly recovered areas by AMISOM troops in Central Somalia.
- At least 150 police officers are expected to be deployed in the areas of Mahas, Tiyeeglow and Kurtunwarey to restore law and order.
- Minister of Internal Security Abdirisak Omar Mohamed launched the two weeks training at the General Kahiye Police Academy in Mogadishu.
- The Commissioner of the Somali Police Force Maj. Gen. Mohamed Sheikh Hassan said the training is part of effort at transforming the SPF into a more efficient force.
- The training is to be conducted by the AMISOM Police component, with the deployment upon graduation.
- Deployment of police officers is aimed at increasing police presence as well check crime in these areas.
AMISOM troops in Somalia continue to make significant gains against the Al Shabaab, recapturing various towns and regions which have been under the control of the Islamist militants.
War against Harakat al Shabaab al Mujahideen has intensified in the last few weeks. Capturing of Bardheere a strategic area by Kenya Defence Forces working under AMISOM umbrella was an epitome among other lauched operations.
Operation Jubba Corridor continues to lay successes for the war torn country with members of the Al Shabaab retreating and leaving some of their strongholds to Somalia National Army and allied forces.
This is the reason why Somalia need to hold up it security agencies together to take charge of these areas which have newly been captured and liberated from the Al Shabaab militants.
Internal security Minister Abdirisak Omar Mohamed emphasized the importance of police forces embracing discipline and education for better service delivery.
In the coming days, if community will work and collaborate with Somali security authorities much gains is expected to be realized against the militants.
To gain community trust and enhance community policing, police force in Somalia need embrace discipline as exemplified by the military forces operating under AMISOM.
AMISOM Police Commissioner Anand Pillay promised that the field training will equip the policemen with basic policing skills key to engagement of communities to ensure safety.
The areas for deployment were recently recovered from the Al Shabaab through joint operations by the Somali National Army and AMISOM forces.