The Kenya Army has different battalions and services that provide support to the army as well as aid the civil authority. The Kenya Army Medical Battalion is the medical support service of the Kenya Army.
The Medical Battalion’s primary role is to provide medical support to the Kenya Army both during operations and peacetime. Secondarily, they help the civil authority in maintaining order.
The Kenya Army Medical Battalion since its inception has had the great mandate of providing efficient, effective and timely medical support to the army at all times.
Their roles vary depending on the situations i.e. during wartime and peacetime.
During wartime they are tasked with;
- Collecting, classifying and evacuating the casualties
- Treating of all kinds of ailments amongst the soldiers be it casualty or otherwise
- They conduct health education to ensure the soldiers stay healthy in that crucial time
- Administer vaccine and other preventive medicine in a bid to prevent non-casualty cases
As earlier mentioned they have duties during peacetime which include;
- Caring for the Defence Forces Personnel and their families
- Training medical personnel both locally and abroad
- Helping the country’s civil authority in times of disaster or general order maintenance
- Taking part in various Nation building activities as well as perform any other tasks as called upon by the Commander of the Kenya Army
They are a very important service as they help curb the number of war casualties and even provide psychological help to the soldiers at and from war which is very crucial in the overall performance of the soldiers both on and off field. They are also very well equipped with field ambulances and even mobile theaters.