The Iraqi army has received delivery of the first batch of BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicles that it procured from the Russian government.
The first arrived Iraq BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicles were seen in photographs and started circulating on social media on August 28.
Iraqi army sources revealed that negotiation process for this purchase started in 2014 but its implementation delayed due to various unavoidable challenges.
Iraqi army has purchased about a hundred new BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicles. About three hundred combat vehicles scheduled to be delivered to Iraq in the period 2018 and 2022.
The BMP-3 is one of the most heavily armed infantry combat vehicles in service developed by the by Kurganmashzavod and the turret is provided by KBP Instrument Design Bureau.
A Look at Russian Made BMP-3 Infantry Fighting Vehicles
- The vehicle is armed with a rotating turret module with two-axis stabilization to provide enhanced combat capabilities.
- Has a turret mounted with a 100mm 2A70 semi-automatic gun.
- Has a rate of fire of ten rounds per minute and a range of 4,000m.
- Has a 30mm 2A72 automatic gun also mounted on the turret that has a rate of fire of 300 rounds per minute and a range of 4,000m.
- It is fitted with computerized fire control system with ballistic computer.
- The hull and the turret of the BMP-3 is welded aluminium. This provides protection against firing of small arms calibre and shell splinters of the battle field.
- The floor of the BMP-3 has two layers with a space between them.