Event: On Tuesday 19 May, 2015, Burundi anti-regime protesters gathered again in the capital Bujumbura chanting slogans against Burundi’s President Pierre Nkurunziza and his bid for a third term in office.
The unrest comes as the country prepares for a presidential poll next month.
Burundi security personnel said they would not allow any demonstrations in the country adding that the government would treat any future demonstrators as accomplices in the failed coup.
They said that they would not stop protesting will continue until President Pierre Nkurunziza says no to a third term in the country’s leadership.
The protesters said they were against both Nkurunziza and the attempted coup.
Possible outcomes as per the current situation in Burundi
- The Burundi forthcoming poll could be postponed indefinitely
- There could be looming ethnic bloodbath in Burundi
- If the situation is not contained, a civil could re-emerge
- President Pierre Nkurunziza stepping down is also imminent
- Regional leaders also calling on postponement of Burundi vote