Al Shabaab Recruiting
- Kakamega police arrest and hold Form 3 student at St Ignatius Mukumu Boys’ High School in Kakamega for terrorism claims
- The Form 3 student confessed to be Al-Shabaab member
- The student reports to have joined Al Shabaab terror group while he was a student of Jamhuri High School in Nairobi
- claimed there are three other students in the school who are also members of the terror group
- A group of Nakuru street boys allege to have been approached by strangers to join Al Shabaab
- Recruiters promised cash rewards and a luxurious lifestyle
- Recruiters to teach them on the ‘right religion’ and also training to follow in the neighbouring country (Somalia)
Police have arrested and held a form 3 student of St Ignatius Mukumu Boys’ High School after he confessed to be a member of the Somali based Islamist group Harakat Al Shabaab Al Mujahideen (Al Shabaab).
The form 3 student confessed to the school head teacher that is a member of the Al Shabaab, which he joined while at Jamhuri High School before his parents transferred him to Mukumu Boys last year.
He arrayed fear that the school has other 3 armed students waiting for their Somalia terror architect to wage attacks on the school non-Muslims (Christians)
The student is being debriefed for more information and necessary security measures to be enacted to neutralize any potential threat.
On a separate incidence, street boys in Nakuru have alleged to have been approached to join Al Shabaab terror group. The Al Shabaab Recruiting men lured the vulnerable street boys with cash rewards and a luxurious lifestyle if they agree to join the militant group.
Case Analysis and Assessment
while investigation on the above cases are underway, terrorism leads, intelligence information is of great importance and security authorities cannot downplay the veracity of these allegations.
To remain relevant, Al Shabaab is trying to make any possible radicalization in East Africa.
Surrendering of radicalized youth during amnesty period has hurt and greatly weakened the militant’s capacity.
Al Shabaab Recruiting of innocent and vulnerable minors (students, street boys) to the group is a desperate move to regroup their faction which is rapidly disintegrating.
Kenya government to focus on threat preemption strategies and curbing youth radicalization. The primary objective is to secure her citizenry and property from terrorist destruction.