Pentagon on Tuesady 7/3/2017 announced that a former Guantanamo detainee known as Yasir al Silmi was killed in an airstrike conducted in Yemen on March 2.
The slain is identified as Muhammad Yasir Ahmed Taher in declassified and leaked files prepared by Joint Task Force Guantanamo (JTF-GTMO).
Taher imprisonment serial number was 679.
It was President Obama’s Guantanamo Review Task Force (GRTF), which evaluated the detainee population throughout 2009 that approved Taher for transfer “outside the United States to a country that will implement appropriate security measures.
After Taher transfer, the Defense Department however did not say when he rejoined the jihadist group though he was killed in Yemen’s Abyan Governorate alongside Usayd al Adani, who was AQAP’s longtime explosives expert and facilitator.
Taher himself was detained in Guantanamo for years on the suspicion that he was part of a unit that was planning to use explosives against Americans in Afghanistan.
JTF-GTMO, in a leaked threat assessment dated March 19, 2008, considered Taher a “high” risk to the U.S., its interests and allies.
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- US Airstrikes Kill 5 AQAP Operatives in Al-Baydah, Yemen Latest military reports and referenced by open sources indicate that US military […]
- 12 Al-Qaeda Fighters Killed in Drone Strikes: Yemen Officials At least 12 Al-Qaeda fighters were on Thursday 2/3/2016 in five separate U.S. drone […]
- U.S. Special Forces Kill 7 Al-Qaeda Operatives in Central Yemen in Raid American Special Operations forces conducted a new ground raid against Al-Qaeda’s Yemen […]
- U.S. Conducts Unprecedented 30 Airstrikes against AQAP in Yemen U.S. military in the last seven days have conducted more than 30 airstrikes against […]
- White House Mourns U.S. Commando Killed in Al-Qaeda Operation in Yemen White House mourned the death of a Commando who was killed in the line of duty in an […]
- Islamic State (IS) Confirms Death of Senior Leader, Wa’il Adil Hasan Salman al-Fayad Islamic State (IS) extremists group on Monday 10th October 2016 confirmed the death […]
- US To Fund $24.9 Million Electronic Security Surveillance On The Tunisia-Libya Security Wall March 29, 2016: The United States has agreed to fund the multi-million-dollar project […]