Recent satellite imagery from DigitalGlobe images taken from 3 August shows Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) matching the dimensions of the Chinese-made Wing Loong II UCAV deployed in Assab Airport, Eritrea.
The satellite image confirms that UAE has deployed at least one of its new Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC) Wing Loong II UAVs to its Assab airport base in Eritrea.
In 2017, UAE is reported to have ordered an undisclosed number armed Wing-Loong II UCAVS.
Prior to the deployment, Eritrean and the United Arab Emirates Air Force officials built two new 26×21 meters aircraft housings in early March, 2018.
A Look at Wing Loong II UCAV
- Its Powered by a turpoprop engine.
- Has a range of 4,000 km (2,485 mi; 2,160 nmi).
- Can endure up to 20 hours.
- Has a ceiling of 5,000 m (16,000 ft).
- It can carry a 1,000 kg load, including sensors and laser-guided missiles, such as the Chinese-made AR-1 ground-attack weapon, and FT-1 precision-guided bombs with a range of up to 6.2miles (10km).