- Tuesday 11th August 2015, a local Al Shabaab leader surrenders to Jubbaland security forces.
- The militant surrendered to the regional state security officials in Bardheere town, Gedo region.
- Issa Abdi Hersi alias Ilka Ase surrendered himself on Tuesday afternoon after making contacts with the security officials.
- The militant also surrendered his AK 47 rifle together with several rounds of ammunition.
- Ilka Ase was Al-shabaab’s key point man responsible for the collection of Zakkah (a Muslim levy on wealth).
- The militant was a familiar and famous in Gedo region as he used to interact with locals on daily basis in the process of collection of levies for the Al Shabaab militants group.
- The militant point man surrenders to the Jubbaland security just after a few weeks of intensive fight between AMISOM and the Al Shabaab fighters whereby the African Union Mission in Somalia forces took over the key town of Bardheere from Al Shabaab in the recent campaigns.
Al Shabaab militants group has continued to suffer series of blows from the AMISOM forces. In the past few weeks, at least 98 Al Shabaab fighters have been killed by allied forces. Operations and logistical bases have also been destroyed by the frequent aerial strikes. Al Shabaab fighters have been forced to retreat into hiding. Surrendering of their point man in Gedo region may have serious ramification on the militant group who rely heavily on levies collected from the locals.
Somalia National Forces and the AMISOM need to press on with the fight against the Al Shabaab militants group. However, the allied forces need to be on the lookout as the militants maybe regrouping and recruiting fighters for future retaliation.