The Russian gun maker of the AK-47, Kalashnikov unveiled a new AK assault rifle on the first day of the defense show being held in Kubinka, near Moscow, Russia.
The new AK addition to the Kalashnikov family of rifles has been designated as the AK-308.
With a 7.62x51mm round, it has been derived from the commercial .308 cartridge for .308 Winchester chambered AK-pattern semi-automatic rifles of the Saiga series.
On the eve of AK-308 official launch at the Army 2018, Kalashnikov’s website showed a promotional video and an article on the new assault rifle. The AK-308rifle featured in the promotional video was of the AK-200 series, an earlier prototype.
The AK-200 series was at first designated as the AK-100M series but later in 2018 was rebranded.
The AK-308 prototype unveiled at Army 2018 defense show is of the latest AK-12/15 family pattern comes with a number of distinctive features.
- It is heavier and has a more powerful 7.62×51 mm NATO cartridge.
- Not the same as the AK-12 and AK-15 assault rifles, chambered for 5.45×39 mm and 7.62×39 mm rounds, respectively, the front portion of the AK-308’s receiver is tailored to put up the heavier front barrel trunnion as per Kalashnikov’s RPK, RPK-74, and RPK-16 light machine gun series.
- AK-12 and AK-15 assault rifles, has an empty 30-round magazine and weighs about 7.7 pounds.
- The AK-308 weighs about 9.5 pounds with an empty 20-round magazine, and has a dioptric sight and foldable stock.
- AK-308 prototype has a distinctive combined compensator and flash-hider attached to its muzzle.
The Army 2018 defense show started on 22 August and ended on 26th August 2018.