UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) resumed repatriation of Somali refugees from Kenya after few months of suspension.
Repatriation resumed by road with first batch of 218 individuals being ferried in five buses to Baidoa and Luuq in southwest Somalia in January 2016.
This was the first batch to get to Somalia by road since the repatriation was suspended in October 2015 citing the rainy season.
Several Somali refugees have returned home since December 2014 when UNHCR started supporting voluntary return of Somali refugees in Kenya.
UNHCR Return Help Desk jointly managed by the UN agency, Kenya’s department of refugees affairs and Norwegian Refugee Council have been quite busy attending over 1,700 Somali individuals with interest or making enquiries about the voluntary return process.
The programme assists the returning refugees with transport to their places of origin mostly in Kismayo, Mogadishu, Baidoa and Luuq in South and Central Somalia.
They also receive cash grants, food and basic domestic items.
Dadaab refugee camp in Kenya’s NEP, has been providing protection, shelter and humanitarian assistance to Somali refugees for two decades often under difficult and complex circumstances.
- Finland Urge Somali Refugees To Return to Somalia DADAAB REFUGEE CAMP CLOSURE Finland has called on Somali refugees to return […]
- National Intelligence Service (NIS) Tasked to Preempt Corruption’s Threat to National Security of Kenya The President of the Republic of Kenya Uhuru Kenyatta issued a statement on Monday 23rd […]
- Kenyan Official: Repatriation of Somalia Refugees Continues Humanely Repatriation of Somalia refugees living in Kenya’s Dadaab complex continue to […]
- Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta Meet UN Security Council Over AMISOM, Repatriation of Refugees AMISOM, DADAAB CLOSURE, May 20, 2016 Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta […]
- Al-Shabaab Arms Smuggler Arrested in Dadaab Refugee Camp DADAAB Kenya, March 14, 2016 A high ranking Al-Shabaab operative was over […]
- Ethiopia To Deploy Additional Troops & Attack Helicopters To AMISOM MILITARY BRIEF Ethiopia revealed that it will send more troops and helicopters to […]
- Somali Say it’s Ready To Receive Dadaab Refugees OSINT SUMMARY Somalia President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud on Monday 6th June 2016 […]
- AMISOM Calls on Somalis to Return Home, Help Rebuild Country OSINT SUMMARY A senior official in African Union Mission In Somalia (AMISOM) […]