15th September 2015, Security forces embarked on dismantling of illegal roadblocks in Lower Shabelle.
The operation aimed at easing transport and cutting on militia networks who collect money from vehicles plying in various routes in this region.
Contingents of security teams early morning launched a major operation of clearing roadblocks which had made transport impossible and dangerous. For a long time, these roadblocks have served as conduits for criminals conducting illegal taxation.
According to Leego Chief, Abukar Abdullahi, the government which is backed by AU peacekeeping mission in eliminating Al Shabaab menace in the country will not relent in fighting criminal element of any kind until peace and stability is restored.
Al Shabaab militias are known to be the huge beneficiaries of these roadblocks forcibly extorting money and other forms of illegal levies on the poor citizenry in order to fund their terror activities.
While speaking to local media, Leego Chief reaffirmed to the locals especially motorists who travel on these roads and have complained of the extortion by the armed militias who man these illegal roadblocks that government is committed to oust these criminal elements and restore normalcy.
“This operation is aimed at securing the area. To achieve this, the government has also developed and will implement an elaborate relationship between the forces and the public,” Abdullahi added.
There have been attacks on public transport and army installations in most parts of the region and the security forces have intensified their operations to address the menace.
- SNA, AMISOM Forces Launch Intensive Security Operations in Leego 14th September 2015, Somali National Army and AMISOM troops launched a major security […]
- SNA Forces Conduct Cleanup Operation to Remove Roadblocks in Lower Shabelle OSINT SUMMARY SNA forces have conducted a heavy cleanup operation aimed at […]
- Security Forces, Counter-terror Operations Arrests over Dozen Al-Shabab Operatives in Lower Shabelle Security forces Leego location in the Lower Shabelle is carrying out wide counter-terror […]
- Mombasa Republican Council (MRC) Leader Omar Mwanamnuadzi Charged for Propagating Secessionist Ideologies at a Kwale Court SECURITY BRIEF The chairman of Mombasa Republican Council (MRC) Omar Mwamnuadzi has […]
- Security Authorities Warn Criminal Gangs Operating in Old Town to Surrender Security authorities have warned on criminals and criminal gangs operating in Old Town […]
- KDF Fighter Jets Bomb Al-Shabaab Operational Base in TuloBarwaqo, Gedo Region MILITARY BRIEF Thursday 25th February 2016, Kenyan fighter jets are reported to have […]
- Interim Jubbaland Administration Forces Foil an Attack on Stadium in Kismayo 30th September 2015, the Interim Jubbaland Administration security forces managed to […]
- 26 Al-Shabaab Militants Killed & Several Injured in Fighting in Harardhere Town, Central Somalia At least 26 Al-Shabaab militants have so far been killed and several […]