According to a report by a Russian publication — TASS, Russia may re-configure its Sukhoi Su-34 fighter-bomber into an armoured attack war jet.
TASS furher reports that the project to develop a ground attack war jet on the basis of Sukhoi Su-34 is expected to kick off sometimes in 2018.
In early June 2016, Russian Aerospace Forces Commander Viktor Bondarev talked of the plans to replace the Su-25 fighter jet and also modify the Su-34 bomber in the future.
The Sukhoi Su-34 Fullback is a fourth generation with a two-seat. The bomber is an improved version of Su-27 Flanker fighter series.
Capability/ Weapons on board the Su-34 Bomber in brief
- Armed with a 30mm GSh-301 gun and 180 rounds of ammunition
- The gun has a maximum rate of fire of 1,500 rounds a minute and the muzzle velocity is 860m/s
- Has ten hardpoints for weapon payloads and is able to carry a range of missiles
- Has capability of air-to-air, air-to-surface, anti-ship and anti-radiation missiles, guided and unguided bombs, and rockets
- Su-34 carries a range of precision-guided and unguided bombs and rockets
- Su-34 bomber is fitted with a target designator