US Senate has blocked a bill to increase the federal minimum wage, reports indicate.
Democrats suffered a setback after they failed a 54-42 test vote. The bill needed 60 to pass.
Republicans argue that increasing the wage bill would have ramifications on employers since the extra cost of employing would force the job market to reduce employment opportunities to meet the high cost.
The bill by Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa sought to raise the minimum wage gradually from the current $7.25 per hour to $10.10 over a period of 30 months.
The gradual increase would then provide an automatic annual increase to account for the possible inflation.
- US Sends Envoy To Uganda To Encourage The Uganda-Led Burundi Peace Talks Event Summary: The United Nations Security Council on Friday 13th November […]
- Somalia Federal Government Awards Turkish Firm 20-Year Contract to Run Mogadishu Port KEY HIGHLIGHTS Somalia Federal Government has awarded a Turkish firm a contract to […]
- Iran acquires F-16 Jet Fighter for Intelligence Purposes Iran has acquired an old version of the revered American F-16 fighter jet from […]
- Total to Explore Oil In Kenya’s Block L22 Offshore Total will explore oil on block L22 offshore in Kenya after it signed a production […]
- SGR Kenya in Brief: The Real Economic Footprint’s of Kenya’s Standard Gauge Railway Kenya’s Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) will fundamentally alter the […]
- SACCOS To Have KSH 800 Billion In Few Years As They Compete With Commercial Banks In Kenya The culture of saving is rapidly taking root in the Kenya banking sectors evidenced by […]
- Work With Security Agencies To Defeat Al Shabaab, President Hassan Urge Diinsoor Residents KEY HIGHLIGHTS Somalia Federal President Hassan Mohamud warned the residents of […]
- Kenya Media Bill [vc_row][vc_column […]