DIFFA, Niger, March 10, 016
The national guard of Niger continues with patrols in areas east of Diffa, the regional capital of Niger.
The operations are aimed at securing their border with Nigeria and to prevent infiltration by Boko Haram militants to Niger territory.
Niger army is armed ready to combat any potential threat that comes near their border.
Nigerian based Boko Haram an affiliate of the Middle East based terrorists group; Islamic State over the past few years has tried to expand its foothold in the neighbouring countries including Niger, Cameroon, Benin, Chad and Mali.
Though the jihadist group has significantly been damaged, the outlawed group still continues to wage attacks by suicide mission or improvised explosives devices (IEDs).
According to head of the operation, Lieutenant Moussa Daouda Rabiou, the commander of the village of Assaga position, the army is undertaking the operation with extreme cautious citing the danger of landmines.
“We trained our men and with our vehicles, we don’t follow the road if there is any suspicious footprint.”
The army patrol is slowly and progressively advancing toward the Nigerian border, with soldiers on foot and army trucks carrying armory.
The army has kept the number of the soldiers on the operations a secret and as they advance closer to the Nigerian border, the have managed to earn trust of the population, which is their first line of defence to fight Boko Haram.
Local population expected to play key role of giving out intelligence (HUMINT) on the militant’s operations and hideouts in the area.
Already intelligence about a militants cell operating close-by on the other shore of the Komadougou River, the natural border between Niger and Nigeria has been given to the army.
- Nigeria, Cameroon Joint Operations Leave 23 Boko Haram Terrorists Killed, 150 Captives Rescued OSINT SUMMARY Wednesday 24th February 2016, 23 Boko Haram terrorists were killed in a […]
- Two Guinean UN Peacekeepers Killed in Attack in Northern Mali EVENT SUMMARY BAMAKO, 12th February 2016 Two Guinean peacekeepers were killed in […]
- Boko Haram Terrorist Group seen Weakening in Cameroon Boko Haram has drastically scaled down attacks in Cameroon in the recent months, […]
- Nigerian Army Thwarts Boko Haram Attack, Kill 5 Islamists in Maiduguri OSINT SUMMARY At least five Boko Haram Islamists reportedly an attack in the […]
- Nigeria-Based Boko Haram Bombings Surge Hits Neighbouring Cameroon EVENT SUMMARY The Nigeria based Boko Haram terrorist group has over the past few […]
- Two Suicide Bombers Attack A School in Northern Cameroon SECURITY BRIEF Friday 29th January 2016, Latest security reports reveal that four […]
- Boko Haram Fighters Surrendering in Large Numbers Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari has said that Boko Haram fighters are […]
- Nigerien Defense and Security Forces Launches Armed Offensive against Boko Haram OSINT SUMMARY Nigerien Defense and Security Forces (FDS) have launched […]