The U.S. military sources has confirmed that it targeted an Al-Shabaab fighter believed to have taken part in an attack that claimed the life of an American soldier in Somalia.
In a report published by Army times, U.S. said that airstrikes conducted on April 19 in the vicinity of Jamaame, Lower Juba region of southern Somalia, successfully eliminated Abdullahi Jibiyow alongside another terror operative.
According to the report, Jibiyow, was a mortar team leader was responsible for multiple attacks in southern Somalia.
Jibiyow is said to have taken part in the attack staged against US and Somali forces in Southern Somalia on June 8, 2018 that killed Army Staff Sgt. Alexander Conrad.
Conrad was assigned to 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group, out of Fort Bragg, North Carolina, till the time of his death. He had been in the Army since 2010 and served as a human intelligence collector.
Conrad was killed by enemy indirect fire while supporting Operation Octave Shield, according to the Pentagon. Octave Shield is the code name for the mission focused on targeting militant groups in Somalia.
He was part of U.S. contingent who were providing advice, assistance and aerial surveillance to partner forces when they came under attack from mortars and small-arms fire in Jubaland, about 220 miles southwest of Mogadishu.