Embraer EMB-314 Super Tucano light attack aircraft of the Burkinabe Air Force (FABF) conducted its first counter-terrorism airstrike targeting militants’ bases near Pama and Gayeri.
The airstrikes were part of a series of anti-terrorist operations that also involved sweeps by ground forces in these two areas.
The Three EMbraer EMB-314 Super Tucanos delivered to the FABF in 2011, were used in the attack.
Embraer EMB-314 Super Tucano
- The Embraer EMB-314 Super Tucano is primarily a trainer, it was also made to be a light-attack aircraft designed for counter-insurgency, close air support and aerial reconnaissance.
- The aircraft has advanced counter-measure systems against surface-to-air-missiles (short range and MANPADs).
- The Cockpit, fuel system and engine components all have armor plates by TenCate.
- The Super Tucano can fly up to 35,000 feet and can hit on targets from 26,000 feet using the Hellfire or other Precision Guided missiles.
- The aircraft is fast and lithe. It can reach a maximum speed of 590 km/h.