Reports have shown an emergence of a new breed of terrorists that is not only crude and violent but also highly educated. The wasted brains that would have otherwise been utilized for greater good are becoming the masterminds of the most inhumane acts against humanity.
- Abdirahim Mohammed Abdullahi- University of Nairobi Law graduate –Garissa University College Massacre in Kenya that killed 148 people
- Luqman Osman Issa alias Shirwa- graduate from a Uganda University- top Commander of the Mpeketoni attack in Lamu County in Kenya that killed 60 people
- Osama Bin Laden- said to have an Economics degree deceased leader of Al Qaeda
- Mohammed Emwazi (Jihadi John)- Information Systems degree- University of Westminster- masked man behind ISIS executions
- Mohammed Atta- Architecture graduate of Cairo University- 9/11 World Trade Centre bombing in the USA
- Ayman Al Zawahiri- Medicine graduate and Master’s degree of Surgery from Cairo University- took over Al Qaeda’s leadership after Osama’s death
- Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab- Engineering graduate of University College of London- commonly known as the ‘Underwear Bomber’
- Timothy McVeigh- Computer Programmer from Bryant & Stratton College- in 1995 detonated a truck bomb that killed 168 people
These are just some of the notable cases of highly educated people turned terrorists. The trend has also been observed in the number of college students arrested on their way to either Somali to join Harakat Al Shabaab Al Mujahideen or the Middle East to join ISIS.