Police in Fino Town in Mandera County on Thursday 28th July 2016 dawn raid were engaged in a fierce shootout with suspected Al-Shabaab terrorists.
The police did a commendable job by fearlessly engaging the suspected militants who were trying to plant Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) on a targeted communication mast.
Last month a communication mast was destroyed in Dhamasa area by suspected Al-Shabaab terrorist group with an aim of cutting communication between the locals and security agents.
The police managed to repulse the militants before they could further cause much damage to the communication mast in Fino town which seemed to be their primary goal.
Analysis / Forecast:
- The destruction of communication masts is key in that, in case of an attack, the communication between locals and security agents will not be possible.
- The militants targeting communication mast signals early signs that the Somali based militant group is in preparation for an attack.
- Mandera-Lafey locality believed to have an active militant cell and recent terror activities in the area signals an alarm that the militant group desperately testing capabilities of pulling a huge raid.
- Security to be heightened, armed police/army patrols to be increased, collect as much intelligence from the locals (HUMINT) as possible to help thwart, neutralize attacks before inception.
- Al-Shabaab Terrorist Arrested On-Board a United Nation’s (UN) Vehicle 1st December 2015, Kenya's Anti-Terror Police Unit arrested a most wanted terrorist and […]
- Security Forces at the Coast Launch Manhunt on Al-Shabaab after Failed Ambush EVENT SUMMARY On Tuesday 12th July 2016, suspected Al-Shabaab militants […]
- NEP Regional Coordinator Mohamud Saleh: Kenya-Somalia Border Security Scaled-up to Protect Communication Infrastructure Following the Somali-based Islamist Al-Shabaab and their cell in NEP Kenya targeting […]
- Anti-Terror Police (ATPU) Gun Down Mohammed Bakari, an Al-Shabaab Returnee, Recover Grenades OSINT SUMMARY Anti-terror police (ATPU) in Diani, Kwale County on Sunday 14th […]
- Two ISIS Emirs Killed in Roadside Bomb Planted by Their Troops in Kharbadan, Iraq Event Summary 22nd July 2015; Two ISIS chiefs blown up by a roadside bomb […]
- Kenya Security Agencies on Alert: U.S Revise Travel Advisory, Warns of Al-Shabaab Threats The State Department on Thursday 30th June 2016 revised its travel advisory for the […]
- Mandera Governor Ali Roba Call on Residents to Help Government Fight Terrorists Mandera governor Ali Roba has called on residents to help the government fight […]
- KDF Convoy Escapes Roadside Bomb near Kismayo Town, Minor Injuries Reported Kenyan Defence Forces (KDF) supplies military convoy escaped roadside bomb that […]