Seven South Sudan opposition rebels have ganged up to oust President Salva Kiir.
Reports from South Sudan indicate that the seven opposition groups including that of rebel leader Riek Machar on Saturday agreed to work closely with ultimate goal of dethroning President Kiir and his government.
Other signatory of the pact included former government ministers Kosti Manibe and Lam Akol, as well as Thomas Cirillo Swaka, the military’s former head of logistics, who resigned in February citing rampant human rights abuses by the military and the dominance of President Kiir’s Dinka ethnic group.
South Sudan attained independence in 2011 but plunged into civil war two years after. President Kiir who comes from ethnic Dinka later fired his vice president, Machar, an ethnic Nuer.
The civil in the world’s youngest nation has caused conflict fought along ethnic lines. The turmoil has left hundreds of thousands displaced from their homes and nearly a quarter of the country’s population facing starvation.
The United Nations has warned that the violence amounting to ethnic cleansing may risks escalating into genocide.
- UN Adviser Warns of Looming ‘Genocide’ in South Sudan A United Nations (UN) adviser has warned of a looming genocide in South […]
- South Sudanese Fleeing as Country Edges Closer to ‘Genocide’ UN human right commission has warned several times of what is happening […]
- Former Rebel Leader, Riek Machar Botched Return in Juba JUBA, South Sudan, Apr 19, 2016 The long awaited return of the former rebel […]
- Six Aid Workers Killed in an Ambush in South Sudan, United Nations Reports At least six aid workers were killed in an ambush in South Sudan according to United […]
- Fresh Raids Force over 3,000 South Sudanese Flee to Uganda More than 3,000 South Sudanese have fled into the neighbouring Uganda on Tuesday […]
- Fresh Clashes in South Sudan Risks Return to Civil War Fresh clashes in South Sudan risk the country into plunging back to civil war. The […]
- South Sudan President Salva Kiir Calls for National Dialogue to End 3-year Civil War South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir called for a national dialogue in an effort […]
- Fresh Clashes Erupts near South Sudan’s Oil Hub of Malakal Fresh clashes have reportedly erupted out near South’s Sudan second largest […]