Somali security forces managed to take over boat that had been seized by Somali pirates in an overnight operation.
According to Abdullahi Ahmed Ali, the Mayor of Hobyo, Somalia forces took control over an Indian-owned commercial boat after they surrounded the vessel off the coast in Hin-Barwaaqo village, south of Hobyo.
Reports indicate that the pirates abandoned the boat after receiving information that security forces were narrowing on them and were planning to storm the vessel, MSV Al Kauser, they had seized earlier this month en route to the southern port town of Kismayo.
Mayor Ali confirmed that only two of the crew members were found on board the boat and authorities believe the remaining nine sailors were moved to land by the pirates.
Officials said security forces are pursuing the pirates who are holding the Indian sailors hostage.
Attacks and kidnappings on Somali maritime in the past few months have been reported signaling return of Somali pirates.
Somalia security officials say piracy is slowly reemerging in Somali Indian waters following an increase in illegal fishing.
- Galmudug Security Forces Free 9 Seamen from Somali Pirates Is piracy returning to Somalia? Over the past weeks, Somali pirates have stepped up […]
- Somali Pirates Release Oil Tanker & Crew after a Week in Captivity Latest reports from Somali’s semi-autonomous state of Puntland indicate that […]
- Puntland Sends Maritime Forces to Bari Coastal Areas on Rescue Mission of Vessel Hijacked by Somali Pirates Somali’s Puntland has deployed more maritime forces to the coastal areas of […]
- EU Naval Force Warships Joins Fresh Counter Piracy Patrols Off Somalia In the past week, EU warships have joined fresh counter piracy off the coast of […]
- Suspected Somali Pirates Seize Merchant Vessel Carrying Oil from UAE Suspected Somali pirates have seized a merchant vessel carrying oil from The United […]
- U.S Military Confirms 250 Al-Qaeda Operatives Killed or Captured in Afghanistan in 2016 U.S military has confirmed that its counter-terrorism forces has killed or captured […]
- Taiwan Govt To Fund Somali Coastal Radar Surveillance System OSINT SUMMARY, Somalia, April 20, 2016 Taiwan Govt agreed to fund […]
- U.S. Court Sentences 3 Somali Pirates; 2 Sentenced to Life in Prison A U.S. court has sentenced three Somali pirates. Two Somali pirates have been […]