Somali’s Puntland has deployed more maritime forces to the coastal areas of Bari on a rescue mission to free up a vessel hijacked by Somali pirates earlier this week.
According to an official, the government deployed units of Puntland Maritime Police Forces (PMDF) to the coastal areas of Bari region to participate in the efforts to rescue the vessel and crew members.
Puntland has sent hundreds of PMPF forces with gunboats to the area, according to the officer. PMPF are well trained forces and financed by the United Arab Emirates.
The commercial vessel which is oil tanker operated by eight Sri Lankan sailors was carrying fuel from Djibouti destined to Somali’s capital Mogadishu when it was hijacked by Somali pirates on Monday in the Indian Ocean, according to the reports.
The pirates after hijacking it at the coast of Alula district, are believed to have relocated to the Habo district in Bari region of Puntland, according to the officer.
The number of attacks by Somali pirates has dropped significantly in the past five years.
- Suspected Somali Pirates Seize Merchant Vessel Carrying Oil from UAE Suspected Somali pirates have seized a merchant vessel carrying oil from The United […]
- Somali Security Forces Take Over Boat Seized by Pirates Somali security forces managed to take over boat that had been seized by Somali […]
- Somali Pirates Release Oil Tanker & Crew after a Week in Captivity Latest reports from Somali’s semi-autonomous state of Puntland indicate that […]
- Taiwan Govt To Fund Somali Coastal Radar Surveillance System OSINT SUMMARY, Somalia, April 20, 2016 Taiwan Govt agreed to fund […]
- 12 Somali Nationals Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison for Piracy OSINT SUMMARY On Thursday 11th August 2016, twelve Somali nationals were to […]
- Galmudug Security Forces Free 9 Seamen from Somali Pirates Is piracy returning to Somalia? Over the past weeks, Somali pirates have stepped up […]
- EU Naval Force Warships Joins Fresh Counter Piracy Patrols Off Somalia In the past week, EU warships have joined fresh counter piracy off the coast of […]
- Puntland Government Forces Displays Freed hijacked Vessel, Sri-Lankan & Crew Puntland government forces on Sunday displayed the freed hijacked vessel Aris 13 and […]