Somali’s Puntland has deployed more maritime forces to the coastal areas of Bari on a rescue mission to free up a vessel hijacked by Somali pirates earlier this week.
According to an official, the government deployed units of Puntland Maritime Police Forces (PMDF) to the coastal areas of Bari region to participate in the efforts to rescue the vessel and crew members.
Puntland has sent hundreds of PMPF forces with gunboats to the area, according to the officer. PMPF are well trained forces and financed by the United Arab Emirates.
The commercial vessel which is oil tanker operated by eight Sri Lankan sailors was carrying fuel from Djibouti destined to Somali’s capital Mogadishu when it was hijacked by Somali pirates on Monday in the Indian Ocean, according to the reports.
The pirates after hijacking it at the coast of Alula district, are believed to have relocated to the Habo district in Bari region of Puntland, according to the officer.
The number of attacks by Somali pirates has dropped significantly in the past five years.
- Suspected Somali Pirates Seize Merchant Vessel Carrying Oil from UAE Suspected Somali pirates have seized a merchant vessel carrying oil from The United […]
- Taiwan Govt To Fund Somali Coastal Radar Surveillance System OSINT SUMMARY, Somalia, April 20, 2016 Taiwan Govt agreed to fund […]
- 12 Somali Nationals Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison for Piracy OSINT SUMMARY On Thursday 11th August 2016, twelve Somali nationals were to […]
- 7 Somali Pirates Facing Charges For 2011 Hijacking Of A French-Owned Catamaran In Gulf Of Aden March 29, 2016: 7 suspected Somali pirates are expected to go on trial in France in […]
- U.S. Court Sentences 3 Somali Pirates; 2 Sentenced to Life in Prison A U.S. court has sentenced three Somali pirates. Two Somali pirates have been […]
- Senior Somali Security Officer killed, 3 Others injured in SVBIED Blast in Mogadishu Latest media reports from Somalia indicate that a senior security officer was killed […]
- UN International Court of Justice To Hear Kenya-Somalia Maritime Border Dispute EVENTSUMMARY Somalia took Kenya to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) […]
- Kenya-Somalia Maritime Dispute Hearings in ICJ to Start September EVENT SUMMARY June 15, 2016, It is official the Kenya and Somalia will be […]