Two Al Jazeera journalists are being detained by Nigeria’s military for loitering near Boko Haram headquaters in the northeast city of Maiduguri, a news outlet said Thursday.
Ahmed Idris and Ali Mustafa were found walking in areas where military operations are ongoing against Boko Haram terrorists.
The two television journalists who had gone to cover Nigeria’s upcoming elections were being kept in their hotel rooms until further notice.
Their equipment had been confiscated.
Nigeria’s defence headquarters said on Wednesday that the two television reporters were “restrained to their hotel” after they had been monitored for “loitering” in areas where military operations were on-going against the country’s Islamist insurgency.
Boko Haram, which fights against Western influence in Nigeria and aims to impose its version of Sharia law in the country, has killed thousands of people since its insurgence started in 2009.
- Nigeria’s President Elect Muhammadu Buhari Says to “Spare No Effort” in Fighting Boko Haram Nigeria's newly-elected President Muhammadu Buhari said on Wednesday his government […]
- Emerging Boko Haram – ISIL Extremist Alliance Augmented by Online Media Cooperation Boko Haram now has its own slick online media channel that will be used by the terror […]
- Boko Haram Attack on Maiduguri Leaves Over 200 Terrorists Dead. Boko haram offensive on Maiduguri was halted yesterday by the Nigerian military. The […]
- Al Shabaab Adopt Boko Haram Tactics. Al Shabaab terrorists have today kidnapped over 40 pastoralists and farmers from […]
- Chadian Military Crosses into Nigeria to Combat Boko Haram Chadian army crossed into Nigeria today as part of a joint multinational offensive […]
- Boko Haram Deadly Attack in Nigeria’s North amid Vote Claims Electoral Workers Boko Haram militants attacked poll stations in northeast Nigeria forcing a section of […]
- Niger, Chad Troops Push Boko Haram Further, Retake Major Hideout Niger and Chadian soldiers drove Boko Haram from one of their major hideouts they have […]
- Niger, Chad Forces Attack Boko Haram Hideouts on Lake Chad Niger and Chad forces stormed the most trusted Boko Haram hideouts on islands on Lake […]