Libyan Government Forces Claim to Retake Key Eastern Oilfields Terminals
Forces allied to the Libya unity government on Sunday launched a counter attack to the troops loyal to the rival government and claimed to have taken control of key eastern oil terminals.
According Ali al-Hasi, spokesman for the Petroleum facilities guard, the Libyan unity government forces launched surprise attacks on forces of Khalifa Hafter in the oil crescent.
Haftar is the commander of troops loyal to a rival administration based in Tobruk in eastern Libya.
Al-Hasi claimed that Libyan unity government forces regained control of the Sidra oil port and Ras Lanuf area in eastern Libya during the fighting and continue to march on to regain control of all oil terminals in the area,” he said.
The Ras Lanuf and Sidra oilfields are estimated to account for more than half of Libya's oil production.
Libya has been roiled by chaos since the ouster and subsequent killing of strongman Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.
- Army Advances Push ISIS Fighters in Libyan Cities of Benghazi and Ajdabiya OSINT SUMMARY BENGHAZI, Libya: 22nd February 2016, credible OSINT summaries reveal […]
- Nigerian Army Arrests Suspected Avengers Militants OSINT SUMMARY Nigeria’s army arrested militants suspected to be working […]
- Kenya Decides To Go Alone On Oil Pipeline Construction ENERGY BRIEF, April 24, 2016 Kenya will go alone on the construction of […]
- Kenya’s Oil Exports to Start Early in April 2017 Kenya the East Africa economic powerhouse is set to gain from oil export sales […]
- Kenya Set To Begin Exporting 2,000 Barrels of Oil Daily From July 2017 ENERGY BRIEF Kenya has announced plans to start exporting 2,000 barrels of […]
- Fresh Clashes Erupts near South Sudan’s Oil Hub of Malakal Fresh clashes have reportedly erupted out near South’s Sudan second largest […]
- British Company Tullow Discovers More Oil at Erut 1 Well Kenya dream of commercial exportation of oil is almost being realized after the […]
- Somalia Rejects UN Proposed Ban on Future Oil Deals Highlights The Somali government early October 2015 rejected a United Nations halt […]