Khalifa Haftar, a Libyan military commander on Tuesday visited Russia where he met Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.
According to media reports Haftar was seeking Moscow’s help in fighting ISIL Islamists terrorists in Libya.
This is Haftar’s second visit to Moscow since summer in an effort of requesting military support from Kremlin.
“Our relations are crucial, our goal today is to give life to these relations,” the TASS news agency quoted Haftar as saying at the start of talks with Lavrov.
“We hope we will eliminate terrorism with your help in the nearest future.”
Libya has been grappling with ISIL militancy since the country plunged in political rivalry and armed grouping following the uprising that saw Muammar Gaddafi ousted in 2011.
The rival grouping are divided into two factions based in the east and west.
Haftar, who is aligned with the eastern parliament and government, has been fighting a two-year military campaign with his Libyan National Army against ISIL Islamists and other opponents in Benghazi and elsewhere in the east.
- Six Russian Long-range Bombers Destroy ‘Major’ ISIS Camp in Central Syria: MoD According to a report by Russia Ministry of Defense (Mod), six Tupolev Tu-22M3 […]
- China & Russia Pledge to Enhance Military Cooperation China and Russia have agreed to enhance their military cooperation. Russian […]
- Russia Jets Bombardments Kill 250 Daesh (ISIS) Terrorists in Syria’s Palmyra OSINT SUMMARY In yet another huge blow to Daesh (ISIS), a senior Russian […]
- Russia Deployment of Advanced S-400 & S-300PS Air Missile Defense Systems to Crimea OSINT SUMMARY Military report by RIA media and referencing Russia Defense […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Russia Military Reconnaissance Drills Starts in Siberia & Far East OSINT SUMMARY Russian military has started drills in six regions of Siberia […]
- Pentagon: U.S. Troops Helping Libya in Fight for Daesh Bastion (Sirte) Libyan forces continue to make gains against the Islamist Daesh terrorist in their […]
- Russia is a Military Superpower, Obama Say in Berlin President Barack Obama told a news conference in Berlin Germany that Russia a […]