Al Shabaab is a jihadist terrorist group based in Somalia with its allegiance to the international Islamist outfit Al Qaeda. It draws membership from youths between 14 and 45 years of age both Somalia natives and foreigners.
It has posed major threat and attacks to the East African region especially Kenya and Somalia.
The Kenyan government has initiated measures to combat the imminent threat in her bid to preempt, foil and counter any would be attacks on her citizenry.
Counter-Terrorism Measures Against Al Shabaab Islamists
- Anti-Terror Police Unit deployment to the northern region especially because of the proximity to Somalia. This is supplemented by increased deployment of security officers in other areas prone to attacks by the militias.
- Porous Somali-Kenya has prompted the construction of a perimeter security wall that will separate the two countries and lock out the jihadists out of Kenya
- Defence budgetary allocations have been increased to help equip the security agencies in the intensified war against terrorism.
- Kenya’s public has been urged to emulate the collective security policy locally referred to as ‘Nyumba Kumi initiative’ that enables them to know their neighbor and report any suspicious neighbors and or activities.
- Border patrols have been intensified not only along Kenya-Somalia border but also on all exit points reducing the number of illegals getting in the country.
- Kenya Security agencies have incorporated utmost coordination among them in a bid to preempt and counter attacks beforehand.
- Proposed pre-university basic military training re-introduction to instill Kenyans with basic defense tactics in case of an attack.
- Muslim clerics have come up with programs that teach constructive Islam and foil extremist ideologies among the Muslim youths in the country.
- Asset freeze of Al Shabaab sympathizers and financiers and Hawalas closure that launder money for the jihadists decapitating their finances.
The government of Kenya is devoted in shunning off Al Shabaab and the threat the insurgents pose against her. Measures herein together with the Kenya Defence Forces presence in Somalia are progressive moves towards completely eradicating the Islamists and securing Kenya.
- Al Shabaab Attacks in Kenya, Scholarly List of Recent Attacks Al Shabaab is a terrorist group with it base in Somalia. Al Shabaab is Arabic for “The […]
- Al Shabaab Terror Activities in Kenya; Sectarian & Political War Harakat al-Shabaab al-Mujahideen (HSM) commonly referred to as Al Shabaab is a […]
- Terrorist Groups Using Communication Strategies to Stage Attacks OSNIT reports and in-depth coverage of areas prone to terror attacks in Kenya have […]
- 100 Million Dollars As Counter Terrorism Aid To Kenya By The US; John Kerry’s Message The United States through its Secretary of State John Kerry promised Kenya 100 million […]
- Kenya Strategic Security Environment National security is intimately tied to the integrity of a nation and the realization of […]
- Intelligence Confirms Somali Suicide Bomber Lived In Switzerland Swiss Intelligence has confirmed that the Somali suicide bomber who detonated his […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- East Africa Leaders Vow to Crack Remaining Al Shabaab Terrorist Cells Al Shabaab Terrorist group remains a great threat facing East Africa countries. Speaking […]