Iraqi forces launched a final assault on Mosul’s Old city, the last stronghold of ISIS in Iraq.
In overnight airstrikes, US-led coalition supported Iraqi forces to advance towards Mosul, Iraqi’s second largest city.
According to US military commanders in Mosul, soldiers say they have broken through the first defense lines that surround the area, where as many as 150,000 civilians are believed to be trapped, starving and serving as human shields to ISIS.
These families are a key source of intelligence as military forces fight on foot, taking one house at a time according to the soldiers.
The Old City of Mosul is the area of the city still under the control of ISIS (Islamic State), who seized the city of Mosul three years ago.
The Iraqi military offensive to retake Mosul from Islamic State was launched on October 17. ISIS terrorists were dislodged rather quickly from their stronghold in the east, but retaking the more densely-populated western part of the city, including the Old City, has taken longer than expected.
The Old City is home to the centuries-old al-Nuri mosque, where ISIS emir, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi delivered a Friday sermon in 2014 as his group declared an Islamic caliphate in the areas it controlled in Syria and Iraq. Over the last three years, the terrorists have lost much of that territory, and Mosul is their last urban bastion in Iraq.
- ISIS Leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi ‘Killed’ In US-Led Air Strike: Unverified Report Key Highlights Evil ISIS chief reportedly killed after coalition air […]
- Iraqi Special Forces Drive Daesh Out of Three More Regions of Mosul A senior Iraqi army commander has confirmed that his troops have driven Islamic State […]
- Islamic State Terrorist Group Losing its Safe Haven in Sirte Libya Pentagon has noted that the Islamic State terrorists are losing grip on their final […]
- US Adds Three Islamic State Leaders to Global Terrorist List U.S. State Department added three Islamic State leaders to global terrorist […]
- US-Led Coalition Strikes Destroy ISIS Drone Facility near Raqqa US-led coalition in Iraqi and Syria conducted 24 strikes consisting of 67 engagements […]
- Turki Mubarak Abdullah Ahmad al-Binali ISIS Chief Cleric & Al-Baghdadi Confidant, Killed in US-led Coalition Raid Pentagon has confirmed the death of ISIS’ Chief cleric Turki Mubarak Abdullah Ahmad […]
- ISIS Leader Abu Bakr Al-baghdadi Targeted in Air Strikes that Killed 13 Islamic State Commanders Recent Iraqi military reports indicate that at least 13 Islamic State commanders were […]
- Islamic State Media Director Surrenders to Iraqi Security Forces OSINT SUMMARY 17th February 2016, Latest OSINT reports indicate that a media […]