The European Union (EU) announced on December 12, 2016 that it has extended two training and security missions concerning Somalia.
The two missions that have EUCAP Nestor and the military training mission EUTM that have been involved in civilian capacity building have been extended until December 31, 2018.
The EU renamed EUCAP Nestor to EUCAP Somalia.
EUCAP Somalia main objective is to assist in strengthening maritime security capacity to enable maritime law be enforced more effectively.
EUTM Somalia is tasked with capacity building of Somali National Army (SNA).
“The EU has a comprehensive approach in Somalia based on active diplomacy and support to the political process, security support, development assistance and humanitarian aid. It aims to tackle both the symptoms and root causes of piracy. The EU support includes the two missions prolonged today, as well as EU NAVFOR Operation Atalanta, the EU military operation countering piracy off the coast of Somalia. The operation was prolonged on 28 November 2016 until 31 December 2018,” the EU Commission said in a press release.
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- EUNAVFOR New Maritime Security Mission for Indian Ocean and Horn of Africa The European Union EU Naval Force (Eunavfor) has created a new naval mission, a third […]
- EU Appoints Brigadier Robert Magowan As New Operation Commander for EU NAVFOR Somalia OSINT SUMMARY, May 19, 2016 EU has appointed Brigadier Robert Magowan to be […]
- European Union Naval Force (EUNAVFOR), Operation Atalanta in Somalia Extended until 31 December 2018 On 25th November 2016, the Council extended the mandate of the operation […]
- Taiwan Govt To Fund Somali Coastal Radar Surveillance System OSINT SUMMARY, Somalia, April 20, 2016 Taiwan Govt agreed to fund […]
- Germany Takes Command Of EU’s Somalia’s Counter-Piracy Operation Atalanta, Promises Enhanced Military Cooperation Highlights: Germany has taken command of the EU Naval Force Somalia […]
- Burundi Lawmakers Call for Withdrawal of Troops from Somalia, Blames EU Burundian lawmakers have called on the government to withdrawal troops battling […]
- African Union Extends Peacekeeping Mission in Somalia by a Year OSINT SUMMARY On Wednesday 11th May 2016, the African Union announced the […]