BUJUMBURA Burundi, April 26, 2016
Burundi’s President Pierre Nkurunziza has condemned the recent killing of a senior army general killed along with his wife and bodyguard. His child was also wounded in the heinous attack.
Brigadier General Athanase Kararuza was a military adviser in the office of the Vice President.
On Monday 25th Brigadier General Kararuza was dropping his child at school in a neighbourhood of Burundi’s capital Bujumbura when his vehicle was attacked by rocket and gun fire.
Brigadier General Kararuza previously worked as deputy commander of an international peace force in Central African Republic (CAR).
President Nkurunzinza has condemned the heinous killing and vowed that the perpetrators of the shameful acts will be arrested and punished according to the law.
In a statement, Nkurunziza praised Brigadier General Kararuza saying he energetically fought against the coup plotters last year and exceptionally contributed in strengthening peace and security and the heated elections.
Burundi had witnessed a wave of deadly violence since Nkurunziza bid for a third term which his opponents termed as illegal and unconstitutional.
However, Nkurunziza won re-election in July 2015,
Violence escalated with three armed groups, including one led by officers that attempted a coup in May 2015, launching armed rebellions against Nkurunziza's government.
- Retired Burundian Army Colonel Shot Dead Amid Tension in Bujumbura OSINT SUMMARY A Burundian retired army colonel was shot dead and his son […]
- Burundi-Rwanda Diplomatic Row, Worsening BUJUMBURA Burundi, March 13, 2016 Diplomatic relations between Burundi and […]
- 9 Burundi Coup Plotters Escape Life Sentence, Receive 30-Year Jail Terms EVENT SUMMARY Burundi Supreme Court on Monday 9th May 2016 slapped life […]
- Rwandan Government Refute Claims on Supporting Rebels to Oust Burundi’s Nkurunziza OSINT REPORT Rwandan government has denies claims that it has been supporting […]
- Burundi Presidential Spokesman Willy Nyamitwe, Survives Assassination Attempt A top advisor to Burundi’s President Pierre Nkurunziza on Monday […]
- Burundi Agrees Deployment of AU Troops To Restore Peace EVENT SUMMARY Burundi agreed AU to deploy to troops and observers as part of […]
- Burundi, DRC Urge UN To Take Action Against Rwanda; Recruiting And Arming Burundian Rebels Highlights: Burundi and Democratic Republic of Congo through a letter to UN Security […]
- Police Capture 26 Insurgents, Seize Arms in South Burundi OSINT SUMMARY Police in southern region of Burundi captured 26 insurgents and […]