Recent Al Shabaab attacks have been carried out with the militant group claiming to avenge alleged AU killings of civilians in Merka by Ugandan soldiers in late July.
However, intelligence analysis has it that the recent attack on AU troops in in the Janaale district of the Lower Shabelle region came exactly a year after the militant group leader was killed in a drone assault. Ahmed Abdi Godane was killed in an American drone assault in September 2014.
Al Shabaab has embarked on a mission to create resentment among the Somali civilians against the Somali National Army and the AU troops. They have continually staged attacks on the AU bases on false allegation of protecting civilians.
However, most of the terrorists’ attacks have been random, killing Muslims and non-Muslims as well as both on government troops and on civilians. They have carried out bombings on streets resulting in the death of civilians. The allegation that the militants have an aim to protect civilians is therefore false and a strategy for the militants to control as many populations in Somalia as possible. Their strategy banks on first, earning the trust of innocent civilians.
In fact, recent intelligence thwarted a planned Al Shabaab attack on a street. In the aftermath of an attack Janaale, the militants were eyeing the congested Maka Almukarama Street, the busiest street which leads to most important places like the National Assembly and the presidential palace.
This was clearly not a plan to protect innocent civilians. Many of them could have died in the attacks in any event that they happened.
Security sources warn that Al Shabaab militants want to earn the trust of the civilians so that they can source for more recruits and stay relevant in Somalia.
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Al Shabaab Militants Adopting Hit and Run Revenge Strategy another Crisis in Somalia EVENT SUMMARY Tuesday 1, September 2015, Al Shabaab launched a full frontal […]
- 10 AK-47 Rifles Recovered, Several Al Shabaab Killed In Clash With SNA-AMISOM Troops In Leego February 24, 2016: Somali National Army and allied AMISOM forces repulsed a would-be […]
- Somalia’s Ahlu Sunna Waljama’a Planning to Attack Galmudug Administration and Control the State The Somali based Ahlu Sunna Waljama'a militia has declared a full-fledged war on […]
- Nigerian Army Arrests Militants Responsible For Pipeline Attacks OSINT SUMMARY Monday 16th May 2016, Nigerian army said it had arrested […]
- Scholar Says Kenya New Counter-terrorism Strategies Paying Off The new new counter-terrorism strategies embraced by the Kenya and bilateral partners […]
- Pentagon Confirms 12 Al-Shabaab Fighters Killed in U.S. Airstrikes in Yoontoy, Somalia PENTAGON, April 13, 2016 Pentagon has confirmed that 12 members of Al-Shabaab […]
- 4 Al-Shabaab Operatives killed in Deadly Clash with SNA Forces in Afgoye At least four Al-Shabaab operatives were killed in a deadly clash with government […]