At least 10 people were killed Sunday night after a fierce clash between the DR Congo army and Suspected ADF (Allied Democratic Forces) rebels.
According to a local civil society chief, Gilbert Kambale, the clash happened Beni in east DR Congo, an area that has suffered a string of massacres since 2014. Eight civilians were shot dead, a soldier and a suspected ADF militant.
ADF is a partly an Islamist armed rebel group of Ugandan origin. The rebel group is blamed for series of gruesome human right abuses among other crimes including kidnappings and smuggling.
Various rebel groups operate in the region around the town of Beni, an area characterized by violence mostly fuelled by ethnic rivalry and disputes over the right to exploit local mining and forest resources.
Beni area has witnessed a series of mass killings that have claimed more than 700 lives since 2014.
The clash comes barely a week after DRC military court sentenced 10 Ugandan ADF militiamen to death for crimes against humanity.
- 10 Ugandan Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) Rebels Face Death Sentence for Crimes against Humanity 10 Ugandan allied democratic forces rebels get death sentence for killing of innocent […]
- Museveni and Kabila Meets over ADF Bandits, Resolve to Share Intelligence to Crumble the Rebel Group KINSHASHA: Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni on Thursday 4th August 2016 met […]
- Congolese Forces Kill 6 ADF Rebels in Eastern DRC OSINT SUMMARY Six Ugandan rebels of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) and a […]
- Deadly Clashes in Uganda Leaves 14 Police & 41 Tribal Insurgents Killed Ugandan police said on Sunday that 41 tribal insurgents and 14 police officers were […]
- United Nations Helicopter Attack Uganda Rebel Positions In Democratic Republic Of Congo Kinshasa-DRC: UN helicopters attacked Ugandan Rebels who are active in the Democratic […]
- Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC): Seven Dead in Clashes with Ugandan Rebels On Sunday 31st August 2016, seven people were killed in clashes between Congolese […]
- Uganda: Gen David Sejusa Aides Jailed to 15 Years for Treason EVENT SUMMARY KAMPALA: A Uganda military court on Monday 18th July 2016 […]
- Rwanda Genocide Mastermind Ladislas Ntaganzwa Extradited To Rwanda From DRC For Trial Highlights: The infamous Rwanda Genocide of 1994 mastermind Ladislas […]