OSINT SUMMARY, Somalia, April 20, 2016
Taiwan Govt agreed to fund installation of the first surveillance system on Somali coast.
Taiwan govt contracted US maritime security solutions provider Oceans Beyond Piracy (OBP) to help the European Union establish the first Somali coastal radar surveillance network.
The surveillance system is aimed at helping secure the Indian waters off the cast of troubled horn of Africa nation.
A memorandum of understanding has been signed to effect the installation of the radar. The MoU is signed between EU, OBP and the Taiwanese representative to the EU, Tung Kyo-yu.
Taiwan govt to fund the project; agreed to pay US $166,000 for the establishment of the Somali Maritime Communications Initiative (MCI).
The surveillance system once completed will operate from five maritime communications and safety centers in Somali cities that will be set up in the coastal cities of Berbera, Bosaso, Hobyo, Kismayo and the capital Mogadishu.
According to Tung the joint maritime security initiative will help ensure the safety of local shipping routes and promote better port management practices in Somalia.
- Taiwan Government Spend $166,000 To Fund Establishment of Coastal Radar in Somalia KEY HIGHLIGHTS Somalia has in the last few months been faced by frequent […]
- Somalia Maritime Security receives USD166000 from Taiwan Highlights: Somalia’s maritime safety received a boost after Taiwan and […]
- EUNAVFOR New Maritime Security Mission for Indian Ocean and Horn of Africa The European Union EU Naval Force (Eunavfor) has created a new naval mission, a third […]
- EU Extends Two Somalia Missions to 2018 The European Union (EU) announced on December 12, 2016 that it has extended two […]
- 12 Somali Nationals Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison for Piracy OSINT SUMMARY On Thursday 11th August 2016, twelve Somali nationals were to […]
- Puntland Sends Maritime Forces to Bari Coastal Areas on Rescue Mission of Vessel Hijacked by Somali Pirates Somali’s Puntland has deployed more maritime forces to the coastal areas of […]
- Counter-Piracy Operation Atalanta Off Somali’s Coast Conduct Joint Training Operation Event Highlights: The week ending 8th January was marked by huge milestones for the […]
- Kenya-Somalia Maritime Dispute Hearings in ICJ to Start September EVENT SUMMARY June 15, 2016, It is official the Kenya and Somalia will be […]