UN: March 3, 2016, Report by United Nations has said South Sudan crisis is worsening. The report has warned of catastrophic ramifications if the escalating crisis is not contained.
Apart from frequent tribal and ethnic wars, humanitarian crisis in South Sudan has hit notch higher and continues to worsen as warring sides continue to slacken in implementing a peace deal, the UN Chief said on Wednesday 2nd March 2016.
The report indicate that tens of thousands have perished from the crisis while over two million have been displaced by the civil war that now has entered its third year in row.
According to a senior UN official, death toll and displacement of citizens continues to rise even after the peace deal was reached in August 2015, “the parties are dragging their feet on its implementation”, Ladsous told reporters.
International Community is now turning the heat on South Sudan leadership with sanctions. Britain on her part is pushing for arms embargo to be imposed on the country in order to put a stop to the flow of weapons.
Sudan attained independence in 2011 and in 2013, South Sudan erupted into civil war setting a cycle of retaliatory killings and splitting the poverty –stricken landlocked nation along tribal lines.
UN has warned of the escalating violence in South Sudan saying it poses huge regional security threat.
- Uncertainty Looms as South Sudan Ex-general Forms Rebellion Faction to Oust Govt Uncertainty looms in South Sudan as ex-general reportedly forms a rebellion group […]
- UN Adviser Warns of Looming ‘Genocide’ in South Sudan A United Nations (UN) adviser has warned of a looming genocide in South […]
- Japan Approves for Troops for Rescue Missions in South Sudan Japan on Tuesday approved a plan to send its troops to South Sudan on a U.N. […]
- South Sudan President Salva Kiir Calls for National Dialogue to End 3-year Civil War South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir called for a national dialogue in an effort […]
- South Sudan President Salva Kiir Appoint Rebel Leader Riek Machar 1st Vice-President EVENT SUMMARY On Thursday 11th February 2016, South Sudan President Salva Kiir […]
- Former Rebel Leader, Riek Machar Botched Return in Juba JUBA, South Sudan, Apr 19, 2016 The long awaited return of the former rebel […]
- Kenya Threaten to Impose Sanctions on South Sudan’s Leaders over Civil Unrest Kenya has threatened that it might impose sanctions on South Sudan's […]
- South Sudan Govt Rejects Machar’s Faction to Strike New Peace Deal South Sudan government under President Salva Kiir has rejected the latest call by […]