A two-day workshop aimed at reviewing standard operating procedures and building the capacity of Somalia’s National Intelligence and Security Agency (NISA) for screening ex Al-Shabaab operatives ended earlier in the week.
The screening process is an essential part of the National Programme for the Treatment and Handling of Disengaged Operatives in Somalia. The workshop was attended by NISA officers drawn from all of the country’s federal member states. It discussed various ways of combating terrorism and ensuring that disengaged Al-Shabaab operatives who want to be reintegrated into communities receive the support they require.
Speaking during the opening ceremony on Tuesday, the NISA Deputy Director Col. Abdulkadir Mohamed Nur welcomed the training workshop, which followed up on a similar workshop held late last year that developed standard operating procedures for screening disengaged operatives
.“This is a very important program and the government has given special priority to peace-building in this country. As much as the use of bullets can be employed in stability, peaceful channels can achieve much needed results. These peaceful settlements can be achieved through dialogue and forgiveness,”Nur said.
To help achieve that objective, Col. Nur emphasized on government’s pledge to pardon Al-Shabaab operatives who surrender and also assist them to reintegrate into society.
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) Police Commissioner Christoph Buik said security agencies like NISA were the pillar of the program as they deal directly with ex-combatants who decide to defect.
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Somali Forces Preparing Major Offensive to Liberate Lower Shabelle Region from Al-Shabaab Somali National Army troops are preparing for a major offensive aimed at liberating […]
- 11 Al-Shabaab Militants killed in a Major Security Operation in Baay Region, Somalia BAAY Somalia, March 12, 2016 Latest military reports from Somalia indicate […]
- Somalia National Security Chief Warns of Al-Shabaab & Boko Haram Sharing Tactics SECURITY BRIEF Somali’s National Security Chief General Abdirahman Sheikh Issa […]
- President Farmajo Makes Second Appeal to Al-Shabaab Fighters to Denounce the Terrorist Group Somali’s President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Farmajo has made a second appeal to the […]
- Burhakabo DC Mohamed Abdi Mohamed Succumbs Injuries Sustained in Al-Shabaab Attack Latest media reports from Somalia indicate that Burhakabo DC Mohamed Abdi Mohamed has […]
- Kenya Security Agencies Takes Measures to Prevent Al-Shabaab Attacks Kenya security agencies in Garissa County have put in place measures to ensure peace is […]
- Security Forces Launch Operation in Dharkenleey District, Several Militants Arrested EVENT SUMMARY Security forces on Saturday 20th February 2016 launched a major […]