Kenya is preparing to repatriate 50,000 refugees to Somalia this year (2016).
According to Commissioner for refugees Haron Komen speaking on Wednesday 20th January 2016 confirmed a delegation went to Brussels in October last year and secured Sh10.74 billion to facilitate the repatriation.
The Commissioner also revealed that twenty percent of those funds will remain in country to support those who have been offering services and to rehabilitate the environment.
7,025 refugees have already been returned home as of Monday this week. Komen said the Friday’s attack in El Adde on a KDF camp will not slow down the exercise.
According to UN agency for refugees, reports showed Kenya had more than 400,000 Somali refugees in December 2015.
There was an outcry after Al-Shabaab attack on Garissa University College last April 2015, security officials saying terrorist’s shelter in refugee camps and pointing Dadaab camp.
Kenya has determined to repatriate large numbers.
Kenya’s Cabinet Secretaries Amina Mohamed for Foreign Affairs) and Joseph Nkaissery Internal Security CS attended the Brussels conference.
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Kenya Calls On Commonwealth Countries Collaboration To End Violent Extremism and Radicalization November 27, 2015, Kenya urged members of the commonwealth country to join efforts in […]
- Kenya Draws Timeline For Closure of Dadaab Refugee Camp and Expatriation of Refugees DADAAB REFUGEE COMPLEX, May 12, 2016 Kenya government through Interior […]
- Dadaab Refugees To Be Settled At Camp North of Kismayu OSINT SUMMARY Foreign CS Amina Mohamed reiterated that Dadaab refugees will […]
- Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta Meet UN Security Council Over AMISOM, Repatriation of Refugees AMISOM, DADAAB CLOSURE, May 20, 2016 Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta […]
- SNA, AMISOM Forces Kill Al Shabaab Commander & Destroy Base in Bakol Raid OSINT SUMMARY Sunday 6th December 2015, a senior Al Shabaab commander was […]
- Decision To Close Dadaab Irreversible, DP William Ruto Tells Envoys at Turkey Summit SECURITY BRIEF Kenya has maintained its stance on the decision to close down […]
- Interior CS Joseph Nkaisserry Urges Global Contribution Towards Relocating Somali Refugees in Geneva Kenya’s Cabinet Secretary for Interior and Co-ordination of National Government on […]