SECURITY BRIEF, April 26, 2016
Kenya-Somalia security border wall construction is ongoing as planned, Interior Cabinet Joseph Nkaissery confirmed on Sunday 24th April 2016 at a meeting with Somali local leaders in Nairobi.
The meeting is aimed at seeking cooperation in matters security with Somali border clans.
Kenya government launched a multipronged approach tactics to fight terror by working closely with clans in bordering Kenya and especially Somalia’s Marehan community.
Kenya is seeking the much needed cooperation between the Somali community across the border citing their involvement especially in intelligence gathering and provision is key in dealing with insecurity.
Severally, locals have been resisting KDF operations in Somalia based on clan rivalry between Marehan and Ogaden.
CS Nkaissery stressed that the construction of the security border wall will continue but assured Somalis that it’s purely to check Al-Shabaab incursion and not to restrict the local resident’s movements.
“There will be entry points where officials from both countries will be stationed to allow free movement,” the minister clarified.
The CS spoke at a three day joint conference between the Marehan and Kenyan government in Nairobi’s Westlands. The conference was attended by three former Somali prime ministers, MPs, Cabinet ministers, businessmen and scholars. The conference is expected to end Tuesday.
On his part, the Former Somali Prime Minister Said Abdi Shirdon while addressing the conference maintained that the cooperation between the Somali community across the border and the Kenyan government is key in dealing with insecurity, especially terrorism, and also for development.
“The conference is aimed at building trust and confidence between Marehans and the Kenyan communities along our common border and foster peace, security and development,” he said.
- Kenya-Somalia Border Wall Construction Continues, Interior CS Nkaissery Asserts KENYA-SOMALIA SECURITY BORDER WALL PROGRESS Construction of the 700km […]
- Kenya-Somalia Border Wall Construction on Course OSINT SUMMARY The construction of Kenya-Somalia border is underway with only […]
- First Direct Flight from Mogadishu Lands at JKIA, Nairobi after 10 Years Direct flights between Mogadishu and Nairobi resumed Wednesday March 29, 2017 with […]
- Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta Meet UN Security Council Over AMISOM, Repatriation of Refugees AMISOM, DADAAB CLOSURE, May 20, 2016 Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta […]
- Kenya Draws Timeline For Closure of Dadaab Refugee Camp and Expatriation of Refugees DADAAB REFUGEE COMPLEX, May 12, 2016 Kenya government through Interior […]
- Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta Say Security Border Wall Deter Terrorists EVENT SUMMARY, May 19, 2016 Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta said […]
- Kenya to Acquire 25 Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Police Vehicles Boost To War On Terrorism: Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery POLICE ACQUISITIONS Kenya’s Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery […]
- Israel To Support Kenya Build Border Wall Along its Border with Somalia Israel pledged to help Kenya stem Al-Shabaab infiltration through its porous border […]