U.S government has cleared the purchase of 12 new American made light attack helicopter gunships to boost the country’s military air capabilities.
According to KDF sources, the new attack helicopters; MD530 F are set to replace ageing MD500 fleet.
Kenya’s MD500 helicopters constitutes the core of the reconnaissance equipment supporting KDF ground forces especially in the ongoing fight against the Islamist Al-Shabaab terrorists in Somalia.
The deal has been approved despite opposition to an earlier weapons purchase deal Kenya had sought from Washington.
According to U.S State Department the purchase estimated to be worth $253 million (Sh25 billion).
The deal includes the purchase of 12 MD530F Cayuse Warrior light attack helicopters, machine gun pod systems, rocket launcher systems and assorted ammunition.
According to the sources, U.S Army Security Assistance Command was expected to send Kenya a formal letter of offer and acceptance (LOA).
In total, KDF will receive 12 MD530F weaponries helicopters, 24 heavy machinegun pods, 24 HMP400 machine gun pod systems, 24 M260 rocket pods and 4,032 M151 high-explosive rockets.
Others equipment include 1,536 M274 smoke rockets, 400,000 rounds of .50 calibre ammunition and communications/navigation equipment.
U.S also exported to provide Kenya with logistical support, training and technical assistance and spare parts and field service support under the deal.
The helicopter in the proposed sale has been used for a similar mission scope by the Afghan Air Force.
This purchase will significantly enhance the KDF modernization efforts and increase interoperability with the U.S Armed Forces and other partners in the region.
- Afghan Air Force Boosted With Five Additional MD 530F Cayuse Attack Helicopters MILITARY ACQUISITIONS Afghan air force has been boosted with five additional […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- China Donates 36 Military Vehicles to Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) China has donated 36 military vehicles to Kenya Defence […]
- US Gives KDF New Helicopters to Boost War against Terrorism U.S government has given Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) six new helicopters to boost its […]
- Foreign Attack Helicopters Invade Village near Jilib, an Al-Shabaab Stronghold Latest media reports from Somalia indicate that foreign attack […]
- Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) Gun of Special Operations –FN SCAR FN SCAR stands for --Special Operations Forces Combat Rifle. The gun is rated […]
- Angola Acquires Four Mi-171 SH Helicopters MILITARY ACQUISITIONS Angola has received delivery of four Mi-171 from […]
- Kenya Gets Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (Drones) from U.S, a Boost on Surveillance and Reconnaissance Capabilities Kenya has received war drones it had bought in U.S two years ago. The high […]