Egypt continues to increase its naval capability with latest acquisition of German built attack submarines.
On Wednesday, Egypt received the second of four attack submarines purchased from German.
The 209/1400 class submarine docked at Egypt’s coastal city of Alexandria, the Naval Headquarters (Ras al Tin area).
The vessel is about 74 meters long. The diesel-electric attack submarine can sail uninterrupted for 11,000 miles (roughly 17,702 kilometers) at a maximum speed of 21 knots. It also has the capability to fire missiles and torpedoes.
Egypt announced the purchase of two 209/1400-class submarines from Germany in 2011, ordering two more in 2014.
The Egyptian Navy officially received the first submarine in December 2016.
- Kenya To Engage Egypt in Military Production Cooperation MILITARY COOPERATION, May 7, 2016 Kenya’s Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) […]
- Kenya May Have Rejected Naval Ship KNS Jasiri and Could Sell it to Nigerian Navy The Nigerian navy might acquire and upgrade a Kenyan Navy Oceanographic Survey Vessel […]
- Al-Shabaab Suicide Vehicle-Borne Improvised Explosive Device (SVBIED) Surge Foretells Strategy EVENTS SUMMARY On 22 August 2015 Harakat al-Shabaab al-Mujahideen's Istishhadyin […]
- Egyptian Naval Forces Arrive in UAE for Joint Military Training OSINT SUMMARY, April 13, 2016 Monday 11th April 2016, Egyptian naval forces […]
- Egypt Donate Military Equipment to Somalia Government Egyptian government has donated military equipment to Somalia government and pledged […]
- Sinai Province (ISIS) Escalating its Violent Islamist Campaign against Egypt Highlights Sinai Province destroys an Egyptian naval vessel using a […]
- China To Build Military Naval Outpost in East African Nation, Djibouti ECONOMIC BRIEF Tuesday 8th December 2015, China is set to build first overseas […]
- Germany Boosts Military Support for Mali Germany’s cabinet on Wednesday approved deployment of 8 attack and […]