Deadly Clashes in Uganda Leaves 14 Police & 41 Tribal Insurgents Killed
Ugandan police said on Sunday that 41 tribal insurgents and 14 police officers were killed in clashes that erupted in the west of the country.
According to the media reports, the tribal king of the area near the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) was also detained.
Through Twitter channel, the police, who announced the death toll, saying the clashes took place in the Rwenzori region, where there has been unrest since a disputed presidential election in February that was won by Yoweri Museveni.
Police source said people it simply described as “attackers” were fighting with an intention of creating an independent state in the area.
According Army spokesman, Paddy Ankunda Charles Wesley Mumbere, the King of the Rwenzururu who is known to support the opposition was also arrested.
The attackers were using improvised explosive devices IEDs) including grenades, guns, and spears to attack security personnel.
Police source also noted one of vehicle at a security post was torched during the fighting.
Police confirmed to have arrested 15 key ring leaders fueling the Sunday clashes.
- Ugandan King Facing Terrorism Charges A Ugandan King is facing terrorism, murder, attempted murder, and robbery with […]
- IGP Kayihura Deploys Over 100 Flying Squad Officers to Troubled Kasese Uganda’s Inspector General of Police (IGP) General Kale Kayihura has deployed […]
- 10 Ugandan Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) Rebels Face Death Sentence for Crimes against Humanity 10 Ugandan allied democratic forces rebels get death sentence for killing of innocent […]
- Museveni and Kabila Meets over ADF Bandits, Resolve to Share Intelligence to Crumble the Rebel Group KINSHASHA: Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni on Thursday 4th August 2016 met […]
- Congolese Forces Kill 6 ADF Rebels in Eastern DRC OSINT SUMMARY Six Ugandan rebels of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) and a […]
- Kenya and Uganda Security Collaboration in Ending Cross-border Clashes Kenyan and Ugandan authorities on early this week kicked off efforts to end […]
- Entebbe Garrison Army Commander, Col. Dan Opito Odwee Held Over ‘Coup Plot’ EVENT SUMMARY Uganda police have confirmed the arrest of 30 military offers […]
- Gunmen Kill One UPDF Soldier, Raid Gulu Central Police Station Injuring Two EVENT SUMMARY Uganda police have confirmed a gunmen attack that left one […]