Lamu power generating coal plant which was incorporated as part of the LAPSSET corridor received a huge boost and now on way to become a reality following the signing of a Sh206 billion agreement between China Power Global and Amu power.
During the signing witnessed by President Uhuru Kenyatta, Energy Cabinet Secretary Charles Keter described the plant as “one of the biggest plans under the public-private partnership framework. The Energy CS after the signing expressed his optimistic that the mega plant would be up and running in two years.
The process has already started with transmission line, the 400kV from Lamu to Kitui to Nairobi awarded to three contractors already.
Once complete, the plant is expected to inject 1050MW into the power grid and will contribute to a stable power supply.
According to Keter, the plant biggest selling point is that it would provide a cheap source of power. “We’re saving a lot in terms of kWh,” the CS added.
The coal plant is also expected to be environmentally clean. Giving examples of China, most of their power supply is through coal; US, all the countries worldwide. So in the essence of Kenya, if we require over 30,000 MW of power for us to be an industrialized, nation, we require all kinds of sources of power, the CS added, shedding light on the issue of the plant affecting the environment.
- Kenya, China To Partner On Oil and Gas Exploration OIL AND GAS EXPLORATION Kenya and China keen on exploring oil and gas, […]
- Kenya’s Oil Pipeline Construction To Commence in 2 Weeks, Energy CS Keter ENERGY BRIEF, April 29, 2016 Kenya’s oil pipeline works is expected to […]
- Kenya’s Investment Firm Set to Construct Coal Power Plant in Lamu A consortium which includes Kenya's Centum investment firm will start building coal […]
- Kenya and China Signs Security Deal Kenya inked the security deal with China. The deal will see Police units in Kenya […]
- Kenya, Ethiopia Discuss War on Harakat al Shabaab al Mujahideen Movement Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta and Ethiopia’s Prime Minister […]
- Kenya & UK Agrees to Collaborate in Fight Against Terrorism EVENT SUMMARY Kenya and United Kingdom (UK) agreed to work closely in the […]
- Kenya’s Government Committed to Providing Nuclear Power The government of Kenya plans to provide Nuclear Power to its citizens by 2031. The […]
- Djibouti Mega Gas Project Commences ENEGY BRIEF, March 4, 2016 Djibouti has announced a mega gas project. Djibouti’s […]