On Thursday 11th August 2016, twelve Somali nationals were to five years in a Mauritius prison over piracy.
The men were arrested after reportedly attacking a container ship in the Indian Ocean. Reports indicate that the accused fired on the MSC
Twelve Somalis sentenced to five years for piracy Jasmine, a Panamanian-flagged container ship in 2013 and were captured by the naval anti-piracy forces where they were transferred to Mauritius where they were charged.
They were found guilty on July 14. The Judge on Thursday said the accused have already served three years in prison and it will be taken off their jail time.
Foreign navies have severally captured pirates as well as smuggled weapons some destined to the war-torn Somalia.
Over hundreds of pirates captured have been handed to the regional nations including Kenya, Tanzania, Mauritius and Seychelles to face charges.
Anti-piracy patrols by international navies and armed guards aboard commercial vessels sail much faster and further away from the Somali coast have largely curbed incidents of piracy.
- Kenya and Seychelles Sign Trade, Security Deals Kenya and Seychelles entered into agreement to increase trade between the two […]
- U.S. Court Sentences 3 Somali Pirates; 2 Sentenced to Life in Prison A U.S. court has sentenced three Somali pirates. Two Somali pirates have been […]
- Taiwan Govt To Fund Somali Coastal Radar Surveillance System OSINT SUMMARY, Somalia, April 20, 2016 Taiwan Govt agreed to fund […]
- Over 80 Tanzanians Arrested in Indian Ocean Mombasa, Accused of Spying on Kenya’s Security EVENT SUMMARY On Saturday 12th December 2015, Kenya Naval team during sea patrols […]
- Puntland Sends Maritime Forces to Bari Coastal Areas on Rescue Mission of Vessel Hijacked by Somali Pirates Somali’s Puntland has deployed more maritime forces to the coastal areas of […]
- Kenya-Somalia Maritime Dispute Hearings in ICJ to Start September EVENT SUMMARY June 15, 2016, It is official the Kenya and Somalia will be […]
- Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta Say Security Border Wall Deter Terrorists EVENT SUMMARY, May 19, 2016 Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta said […]
- UN Allows Kenya And Horn Of Africa Countries To Try Pirates Locally Further Crippling Al Shabaab Supply Routes Highlights: The United Nations Security Council on Tuesday 10th November passed a […]