June 7, 2016, West African leaders resolved to set up a joint force to combat frequent attacks by extremist groups. The leaders also resolved to send an observation mission to Gambia as the election date draws closer.
The decision was announced during the recently concluded 49th session of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) meeting of heads of state held in Dakar, Senegal.
The member states also discussed the need to set up a regional anti-extremist force.
West African countries are facing threat of extremists with major attacks by al-Qaeda-linked militants being reported in Mali, Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast.
The Nigeria-based Boko Haram continues to wage attacks in Nigeria, Cameroon, Niger and Chad. The jihadist group pledged allegiance to the Middle East-based Islamist State group.
The leaders agreed to mobilize resources to aid the creation of the much need force.
- Boko Haram Terrorist Group seen Weakening in Cameroon Boko Haram has drastically scaled down attacks in Cameroon in the recent months, […]
- U.S. Pledge Support For Nigeria To Fight Islamic State Affiliated Boko Haram KEY HIGHLIGHT Nigeria based militant group Boko Haram continues to wage […]
- Islamic State Announces Abu Musab al-Barnawi New Boko Haram Emir, Shekau Insists He is Still In-charge The Middle East based Islamic State on Wednesday3rd August 2016 in an audio released […]
- Asymmetric War, Niger Army Operations Against Boko Haram DIFFA, Niger, March 10, 016 The national guard of Niger continues with patrols […]
- Two Guinean UN Peacekeepers Killed in Attack in Northern Mali EVENT SUMMARY BAMAKO, 12th February 2016 Two Guinean peacekeepers were killed in […]
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel Visit Mali, Niger; Discuss Security & Development German chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday 10th October 2016 visited Mali and Niger […]
- Nigerian Army Thwarts Boko Haram Attack, Kill 5 Islamists in Maiduguri OSINT SUMMARY At least five Boko Haram Islamists reportedly an attack in the […]
- Nigeria To Establish Naval Outpost At Lake Chad Region; Seaborne Attack Preparation Highlights: Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the […]