Vietnam Customs Seize One-tonne Illegal Ivory Haul from Kenya
Vietnam customs officials reportedly seized nearly one-tonne of illegal ivory haul from Kenya.
According to the officials, the ivory was hidden in a timber shipment. This is the third major illegal haul of precious ivory tusks to be seized in less than a month.
Vietnam is a popular transit route for smuggling ivory from Africa to get to other parts of Asia, especially China where it is used for decorative and medicinal purposes.
Ivory products are also highly sought in Vietnam though the trade is illegal and officially banned.
The latest ivory haul from Kenya was intercepted at a port in Ho Chi Minh City on Wednesday, where it was carefully hidden in a shipment of timber logs. This a common practice among smugglers.
November 17 and 18 this year, Vietnam will host an international conference on illegal wildlife trade.
The conference will be attended by high profile figures among them Britain's Prince William, a vocal critic against illicit wildlife smuggling.
- Chinese National with Ivory Worth Sh300,000 Arrested at JKIA ILLEGAL IVORY TRAFFICKING A Chinese man was on Monday arrested at JKIA, […]
- UN Slaps North Korea With Toughest Additional Sanction In 20 Years March 3, 2016: The UN Security Council has unanimously adopted a resolution that expands […]
- U.S. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper Says Homegrown Extremists Tops Terrorist Threat List KEY HIGHLIGHTS U.S. Director of National Intelligence (DNI) James Clapper has […]
- China Donates Military Equipment to Liberia Armed Forces OSINT SUMMARY MONROVIA, February 10, 2016, On Wednesday Liberian President Ellen […]
- China Joins U.S., Says it Supports U.N. on New Sanctions on North Korea China has expressed support to new U.N. sanctions to be forced on North Korea over […]
- China Put A Reward For Online Terrorist Intelligence Tip-offs OSINT SUMMARY Monday 8th February 2016, China says it will pay rewards to anyone who […]
- China to Commence Construction of Naval Base in Djibouti EVENT SUMMARY 5th February 2016, China is set to start building naval base in in […]
- China Donates 36 Military Vehicles to Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) China has donated 36 military vehicles to Kenya Defence […]