The U.S. Air Force (USAF) revealed the details of its Predator and Reaper Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and their role in countering Islamic State in Syria.
U.S. pilots assigned to squadrons across the 432nd Wing (WG) and the 432nd Air Expeditionary Wing (AEW) tasked with providing close air support. Other units are tasked to provide intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) as needed by the coalition partners to dislodge Islamic State fighters’ Syrian city of Manbij with minimum civilian casualties.
UAVs Brief Details/Capabilities
The Predator has a wingspan of 55 feet, is 27 feet long, 6.9 feet high and carries a payload of up to 450 pounds and has a maximum speed of 135 mph (217 km/h).
The MQ-1B Predator is equipped with the Raytheon AN/AAS-52 Multi-spectral Targeting System (MTS-A), which includes Electro-optical/Infrared (EO/IR) video cameras and laser designators.
The MQ-1B carries up to two AGM-114 Hellfire missiles. In March 2011, the USAF received the last of a total of 268 Predators.
The MQ–9 Reaper Extended Range (ER) is a new variant that comes with additional internal fuel capacity, a new reinforced landing gear, extended wings (13 ft increase => 79 ft wing span), and extended tail control surfaces.
U.S. Air Force currently plans to purchase extended-range (ER) upgrade kits for nearly the entire fleet of MQ-9s. Only 38 Reapers carrying earlier ER modification kits with field-retrofittable capabilities, such as under-wing fuel pods, will not undergo the ER upgrade.
The Reaper ER has an endurance of up to 42 hours (flying without external stores). This compares to 27 hours for the baseline Reaper and 34 hours for the 38 Reapers that carry earlier field-retrofittable ER kits.
- US-Led Coalition Strikes Destroy ISIS Drone Facility near Raqqa US-led coalition in Iraqi and Syria conducted 24 strikes consisting of 67 engagements […]
- Islamic State (IS) Confirms Death of Senior Leader, Wa’il Adil Hasan Salman al-Fayad Islamic State (IS) extremists group on Monday 10th October 2016 confirmed the death […]
- US Launches A Mega-Aggressive Counter Cyber-Attack Against ISIS February 26, 2016: Washington- US officials have confirmed that the Pentagon has […]
- U.S. Military General Arrives to Ankara ahead of Raqqa Operation A military general from the United States according to media reports has arrived to […]
- 124 ISIS Terrorists Killed, 98 Villages Captured By Kurdish-led SDF Forces East Of Raqqa The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces on Sunday announced the liberation of 98 […]
- U.S. Praise Turkey’s Border Operations against ISIL Terrorists Turkey has been able to deny ISIL terrorists access to a worldwide outskirt and […]
- Turkish Jets Bombardments Destroy 15 ISIL Targets in Syria’s Al-Bab Turkish military jets continues to Bombard ISIL extremist targets in Syria as part of […]
- Turkey Military Buildup, Deploys Missile Systems on Border With Syria OSINT SUMMARY, April 26, 2016 Turkey has pulled additional forces to the […]