The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Somalia because of continuous activity by the Al Qaeda affiliated terrorist group, Al-Shabaab.
There is a particular terrorist threat to foreigners in places where large crowds gather and Westerners frequent, including airports, government buildings, hotels, and shopping areas. In 2016, there were 14 documented attacks directed at hotels, restaurants, and the international airport in Mogadishu.
In addition, al-Shabaab has carried out attacks in government-controlled territories. In 2016, they targeted government facilities, foreign delegations facilities and convoys, and commercial establishments frequented by government officials, foreign nationals, and the Somali diaspora.
Al-Shabaab has repeatedly attacked the Mogadishu Aden Adde International Airport (MGQ) with mortars and other weapons.
The group has conducted attacks from within the airports secure perimeter, and they detonated an explosive device hidden in a laptop on an airplane shortly after it took off from the airport on February 2, 2016.
- U.S. Renews Travel Ban to Somalia, Claim Country Unstable Over Al-Shabaab Activity SECURITY BRIEF U.S. on Tuesday 24th May 2016 renewed its travel […]
- U.S. Special Forces Order Strike Al-Shabaab Militants in Somalia OSINT SUMMARY U.S. Special Operations on Thursday 12th May 2016 were called […]
- U.S. Pledge Support to Kenya, Somalia following Recent Terrorist Attacks U.S. on Tuesday pledged to support Kenya and Somalia following the recent terrorist […]
- U.S. Drone Strike Kills Al-Shabaab Amniyaat Operations Commander Hassan Ali Dhore in Somalia. PENTAGON REPORT, April 2, 2016 Pentagon has confirmed that its military […]
- 3 Somali-Americans Sentenced for Plotting to Join ISIS in Syria A U.S. judge in Minnesota has sentenced three Somali-American found guilty of […]
- Kenya Aims to Repatriate Nearly Half of Dadaab Somali Refugees by End-2016 Kenya government aims to reduce the population of Somali refugee living in Dadaab […]
- U.S. Military Restricts Members From Travelling To West Africa, Cites Recent Attacks PENTAGON U.S. March 17, 2016 U.S. military has restricted its service members […]
- UN Security Council Condemn Al-Shabaab Raid on Hotel in Mogadishu EVENT SUMMARY Somalia suffered a deadly attack on 1st June 2016 perpetrated […]