The US is offering rewards of up to $27 million for information on the whereabouts of six leaders of the Somali based militant group al-Shabaab.
The State Department announced on Tuesday 10th November, 2015 that an amount that could sum to $6 million will be offered for information that will lead to the arrest of the overall Al Shabaab leader, Abu Ubaidah.
Abu Ubaidah was named head of al-Shabaab in September 2014, after the group’s leader, Ahmed Abdi Godane, was killed in a US drone strike.
Other high ranking Al Shabaab leaders that draw the on the reward list are Mahad Karate, Ma’Alim Daud and Hassan Afgooye.
A reward of up $5 million will be offered for information that will potentially lead to the arrest of Karate, Daud and Afgooye.
Among other terrorist atrocities, the above three have been responsible for the following
- In April, 2015, Karate played a key role in the attack that killed 148 people at Kenya’s Garissa University College.
- On the other hand, Daud is responsible for Al-Shabaab’s operations against the Somali government and Western targets.
- Afgooye oversees a fundraising network for al-Shabab activities.
Additionally, the United States is offering rewards of up to $3 million for information on Maalim Salman and Ahmed Iman Ali.
- Salman is said to lead al-Shabab’s African foreign terrorist fighters
- Ali has recruited Kenyan youth and raised funds for the group.
The offers are part of the US State Department’s Rewards for Justice Program.
The latest US move finds a disheveled Somali based terrorist group that is on the verge of collapsing. This accrues to its increasing loss of territories to the AMISOM backed Somali National Army coupled with internal squabbles that could result into a split between adherents of Al Qaeda and those of the Islamic State.
- Somalia’s Ahlu Sunna Waljama’a Planning to Attack Galmudug Administration and Control the State The Somali based Ahlu Sunna Waljama'a militia has declared a full-fledged war on […]
- US Blacklists Ahmed Diriye and Mahad Karate, Freezes Assets of the Al Shabaab Leaders The US has labelled Ahmed Diriye and Mahad Karate, leaders of the Somali militant group […]
- Somali Intelligence Puts Bounty on Ahmed Omar Abu Ubeyda Leader of Al-Shabaab The Somali national intelligence and security agency will reward $US 2 million for […]
- Farah Dagane Hassan, Hiish Ahmed Ali Kenyan Trainee Doctors Killed in Raid on Libya ISIS Base Two Kenyan trainee doctors who have been on police terrorist watch list were killed […]
- Mahad Karatey Dead but Al-Shabaab Denies Death of Deputy Leader Al-Shabaab terror group issued a statement through a pro-terror website Somali Memo […]
- Kenya Police Probe 3 Arrested Al Shabaab Suspects Over Pandanguo- Lamu Attacks Highlights: Police in Mombasa County, Kenya said that they are holding and […]
- Al-Shabaab Suicide Vehicle-Borne Improvised Explosive Device (SVBIED) Surge Foretells Strategy EVENTS SUMMARY On 22 August 2015 Harakat al-Shabaab al-Mujahideen's Istishhadyin […]
- Returnee Militants Reveal Reality within Al Shabaab Terror Group Highlight Radicalized youths into Somali terror group Harakat Al Shabaab Al […]