UPDF Chief Visit Somalia, Calls for Speedy Security Sector Reforms
The Chief of Defence Forces of Uganda Peoples Defence Forces (UPDF), Katumba Wamala arrived in the war-torn Somalia for a three-day visit and called on Somali leaders to hasten implementation of security sector reforms.
UPDF Chief called on leaders to come together cooperate with the African Union troops (AMISOM) in strengthening the national army (SNA) in preparing it taking over the country’s security once AU troops exit Somalia.
“As you interact politically with whoever will take the chair, this should be among their priority area; to make sure that they address the issue of building their security apparatus,” he told a meeting of senior officials from the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM).
On his part, Osman Noor Soubagleh, the AMISOM Force Commander reiterated that AMISOM troops will continue to jointly conduct offensive and defensive operations aimed at improving the security situation in Somalia.
Wamala also held a meeting with the Special Representative of the UN Secretary General for Somalia, Michael Keating.
AMISOM troops contributing countries includes Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, Burundi and Djibouti.
- AU Military Strategy Operations Committee Meeting in Djibouti The African Union Military Operation Coordination Committee (MOCC) met in Djibouti to […]
- Security Heightened in Mogadishu as Somalia Set to Host IGAD Summit OSINT SUMMARY Security has been heightened up in Mogadishu as Somalia is set […]
- AMISOM Need 9,000 More Army Soldiers in Somalia The African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) is in need of 9,000 more army soldiers […]
- 4,000 Extra AMISOM Troops Needed to Liberate More Areas in Somalia According to a report compiled by CCTV news, African Union Mission in Somalia […]
- African Union (AU) Agree to Train Somali Troops before AMISOM Exit in 2018 African Union (AU) on Monday announced its plan to train Somali troops (SNA) to the […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- African Union (AU) Call for Additional Deployment of 4,000 Troops in Somalia The Military Operations Coordination Committee (MOCC) for AU peacekeeping mission in […]
- Security in Mogadishu Somalia Scaled Up Ahead of Regional Summit OSINT SUMMARY Security in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu and its environs […]