United States Department of State’s Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL) on September 30th signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Federal Government of Somalia and Puntland State.
The Memorandum of understanding is set to enhance the cooperation on police training in Puntland State as well as integrated counterterrorism efforts.
The MOU provides up to USD1 million shillings that will facilitate the expansion of the police force in Puntland and anti-terrorism programs that especially geared towards fighting the al Qaeda affiliate- Al Shabaab based in Somalia.
INL is an agency that is centered on developing policies and programs that combat international narcotics and cross border crimes. Its core goals are to reduce international drug trafficking and especially in the US and minimize the impact of international crimes on the US and her citizenry.
INL has also invested in Counter-narcotic and counter-terrorism programs in different countries that aid in implementing its mandate.
Somalia joins Afghanistan, Colombia and Iraq who have benefited from INL programs in countering narcotics and terrorism in the individual countries.
The program and the financing will not only help in fighting the Al Qaeda affiliated Harakat Al Shabaab al Mujahedeen based in Somalia but equivalently combat the global trafficking network that uses the East African and especially Somalia’s coast as a contraband and drug front.
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Al-Shabaab Suicide Vehicle-Borne Improvised Explosive Device (SVBIED) Surge Foretells Strategy EVENTS SUMMARY On 22 August 2015 Harakat al-Shabaab al-Mujahideen's Istishhadyin […]
- Heads of State From Troop and Police Contributing Countries To AMISOM Resolve to Reinforce Military Operations in Somalia AMISOM SUMMIT, DJIBOUTI, 28 FEBRUARY 2016 Heads of State and Government from […]
- Islamic State Massive Defection to Other Jihadist Groups Due to Poor Pay Breaking OSINT reports indicate that hundreds of militants linked to Daesh (Islamic […]
- Somalia Police Scale Up Security Measures in Jowhar Event Summary Somalia government police and soldiers launched an operation in […]
- US Training African Police Forces To Equip Them With Adaptable Skills To Counter Jihadist Threats Highlights: United States’ FBI agents alongside other security agencies are […]
- Somalia’s Ahlu Sunna Waljama’a Planning to Attack Galmudug Administration and Control the State The Somali based Ahlu Sunna Waljama'a militia has declared a full-fledged war on […]
- Al-Shabaab Terrorist Arrested On-Board a United Nation’s (UN) Vehicle 1st December 2015, Kenya's Anti-Terror Police Unit arrested a most wanted terrorist and […]