UNSC slapped Eritrea with arms embargo in 2009 accusing the Horn of Africa Nation of providing the Islamist terrorists with arms.
On Thursday 10th November 2016, ten UN Security Council member states voted for the resolution for arms embargo extension for Eritrea while five others including Angola, China, Egypt, Russia and Venezuela abstained.
UNSC also extended the mandate of the UN Somalia-Eritrea Monitoring Group (SEMG) until December 15, 2017 calling on Eritrean government to facilitate the UN monitoring group entry into that country as well provide them with information.
The Security Council expressed “concern over reports by the SEMG of ongoing Eritrean support for certain regional armed groups, and encouraging the SEMG to provide further detailed reporting and evidence on this issue.”
Eritrea had long been demanding to have the sanctions lifted.
A number of countries had been lobbying but didn’t yet succeed.
- Somali Asks UN Security Council for Complete Lift Arms Embargo OSINT SUMMARY Somalia’s President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud has asked […]
- UN Security Council Ends 13-year Arms Embargo on Liberia EVENT SUMMARY UN Security Council on Wednesday 25th May 2016 ended more than […]
- Russia Calls on Loosening of Arms Embargo on Somalia Russia has called for loosening of arms embargo on Somalia saying the country need to […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- U.S. Calls UN Arms Embargo against South Sudan, Russia Opposes the Move U.S. on Thursday 17th November 2016 launched a bid at UN Security Council to impose […]
- U.S. Accuse South Sudan Govt of Aiding Armed Opposition in Khartoum U.S. has accused South Sudan’s government of continuous harbouring and aiding […]
- U.S. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper Says Homegrown Extremists Tops Terrorist Threat List KEY HIGHLIGHTS U.S. Director of National Intelligence (DNI) James Clapper has […]
- China Joins U.S., Says it Supports U.N. on New Sanctions on North Korea China has expressed support to new U.N. sanctions to be forced on North Korea over […]