Britain through a press release reiterated its commitment and support to AMISOM battling the Al-Qaeda affiliated Al-Shabaab.
Britain’s Secretary of State for International Development the Rt Hon Priti Patel had travelled to Mogadishu on 28th January 2016 where she re-affirmed the importance of the UK’s partnership with Somalia and the AU peacekeeping mission.
During the meeting, Minister Patel met with met the Deputy AU Special Representative for Somalia, Lydia Wanyoto, AMISOM Force Commander Lieutenant General Soubagleh and AMISOM Deputy Police Commissioner Christine Alalo.
They held talks on the need to improve Somalia’s prospects for peace and security ahead of Somalia Conference to be held in London in May.
Minister Patel commended the continuing efforts and sacrifices made by AMISOM and their troops, and highlighted the important role AMISOM to continue to play in enabling Somalia to take responsibility for its security.
She also highlighted that UK government will provide financial support of £10 million additional humanitarian funding to address immediate needs following deteriorating drought conditions in Somalia through concerned UN agencies.
Speaking at the end of the visit, The Secretary of State said:
“AMISOM together with UK military support are playing a crucial role in helping to deliver a stable, prosperous and secure Somalia.”
“Great progress towards peace has been made, but significant challenges remain.”
- AU Opens New Military Training Facility To Boost Security in Somalia OSINT SUMMARY Africa Union (AU) peacekeeping mission in Somalia (AMISOM) has […]
- UN Security Council Commit To Support Somalia Rebuild SNA & Upcoming Elections SOMALI ELECTIONS & STABILIZING SNA UN Security Council concluded […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Somalia’s President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud Lauds Government Forces for CT-Operations against Islamists Al-Shabaab The president of the federal government of Somalia lauded Somali forces for their […]
- African Union (AU) Agree to Train Somali Troops before AMISOM Exit in 2018 African Union (AU) on Monday announced its plan to train Somali troops (SNA) to the […]
- Burundi & African Union Resolve AMISOM Salary Dispute Burundi and the African Union (AU) on Thursday 17/2/2017 reached an agreement on […]
- African Union (AU) Call for Additional Deployment of 4,000 Troops in Somalia The Military Operations Coordination Committee (MOCC) for AU peacekeeping mission in […]
- Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) Deploys New Batch Of 2000 Troops To Somalia March 30, 2016: Uganda, the lead troop contributing nation under AMISOM has deployed […]