U.S. Department of State Updates Nigeria Travel Warning
The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to Nigeria and recommends that U.S. citizens avoid all but essential travel to Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Kano, and Yobe states.
The department of State cites security situation in northeast Nigeria remains shaky and unpredictable.
Also, very poor transportation infrastructure makes it difficult for the U.S. Mission to provide consular services in these states.
All U.S. citizens should have evacuation plans that do not solely rely on U.S. government assistance.
Due to the risk of kidnappings, robberies, and other armed attacks, citizens should also avoid all but essential travel to: Bayelsa, Delta, Jigawa, Kaduna, Katsina, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, and Zamfara states.
This replaces the Travel Warning dated August 3, 2016.
Boko Haram, an extremist group linked to the Islamic State based in the northeast, has targeted churches, schools, mosques, government installations, educational institutions, and entertainment venues in Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Kaduna, Kano, Plateau, Taraba, the Federal Capital Territory, and Yobe states.
The extremist group has forced hundreds of thousands of Nigerians to flee while thousands have been displaced as a result of violence in the north.
Those travelling or already in Nigeria asked to remain vigilant at public gatherings and locations frequented by foreigners. Markets, hotels, restaurants, bars, and places of worship may become targets for terrorist attacks.
Travel to the Gulf of Guinea should also be avoided because of the threat of piracy.
- Nigerian army Conduct Airstrikes against Boko Haram’s Illegal Oil Refineries Nigerian army complemented ground offensives with aerial assaults of the suspected […]
- Nigeria Govt Face Pressure to Rescue Girls Kidnapped by Boko Haram 1,000 Days Ago Pressure is mounting on Nigerian govt to rescue the kidnapped school girls by the […]
- Nigerien Defense and Security Forces Launches Armed Offensive against Boko Haram OSINT SUMMARY Nigerien Defense and Security Forces (FDS) have launched […]
- US President Donald Trump Ready to Support Boko Haram Combat, Lauds Buhari for Rescue of 24 Chibok Girls US President, Donald Trump lauded Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari effort […]
- Nigeria To Establish Naval Outpost At Lake Chad Region; Seaborne Attack Preparation Highlights: Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the […]
- Asymmetric War, Niger Army Operations Against Boko Haram DIFFA, Niger, March 10, 016 The national guard of Niger continues with patrols […]
- Nigeria Police Launch Manhunt of Lagos School-girls Kidnappers OSINT SUMMARY March 3, 2016, Nigeria police launched an operation aimed at rescuing […]
- Nigeria, Cameroon Joint Operations Leave 23 Boko Haram Terrorists Killed, 150 Captives Rescued OSINT SUMMARY Wednesday 24th February 2016, 23 Boko Haram terrorists were killed in a […]